Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing honeycomb boot protection and testing the extinguisher

Myles

I need to take my tank out - and I have honeycomb protection on the car and a sealed boot-floor...

ISTR being told that it is just sealed in with silicone sealant - this has always sounded a tad odd, but I've not needed to worry about it before.

Anyone give any tips regarding removal and replacement?

While I'm faffing around that area, I have to take the plumbed-in extinguisher out. It shows green on the gauge, but hasn't been tested for at least as long as I've had the car.

What's the score regarding getting it tested? ISTR that powder can compact under vibration... Not much point in carrying the weight around if it is effectively a concrete-filled (heavy) tin can...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles,

When I did the 2001 Academy we siliconed the boot floors. this was a safety requirement to help prevent fuel/flames getting from the tank to the driver I guess. You will need to cut round it or use some silicone eater type product to get rid of it. It may then be either screwed or riveted in place.

I can't recall if you need the roll bar/cage out to get the honeycomb out of the top of the boot but if all you want to do is remove the tank then you should be able to do that whilst the honeycomb is still in the boot but not fixed in place. The tank came then come out under the car.

Presumably a local extinguisher testing co. can help on the other matter. Find one in the Yellow Pages perhaps *confused*.

HTH.

Steve.

The extinguisher should have a "service by" date on it. It will be a back to manufacturer job - they will probably replace the gas cartridge, seals and extinguishant. Most modern extinguishers are filled with AFFF which is basicaly soapy water so no worry about it settling.

Paul

Edited by - PaulD on 28 Oct 2005 23:27:19

Edited by - PaulD on 28 Oct 2005 23:29:19

The sealant is a fire protection. To remove the floor, pick/pull out all the sealant and undo the screws. The floor will lift out upwards with some guidance (it is much, much easier if you don't have a cage). Once the floor is out you can lift the tank, rotate it, and lift it out. All with honeycomb protection still in.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

My powder extinguisher bought from Halfords said replace in 1999 so I thought it's about time. Pressure gauge still in the green & the powder inside would fall up & down with a dull thud.

*idea*Before binning it I thought I'd have a bit of fun in the garden. Worked fine! Suppose there was no need to replace it now.

Thanks all.

I can confirm that:

The extinguisher is AFF(ffff).

The weight/date label has dissolved (I routinely chuck my still-damp car cover in...)

The rear boot-floor section was screwed (at the front) and siliconed in - I scraped the silicone away (eventually). I couldn't work out how in hell to get the floor out - it didn't even want to come out diagonally. In the end, I just forced it through the final bit at the expense of a little paint.

Ran out of light to get any further... ...just hoping that the rear, bottom and side honeycomb sections don't make life 'interesting'...

Oh, I can heartily not recommend the 'jiggle' syphon tube as available from Halfrauds. Couldn't get it to work and ended up having to suck the tube old-fashion-stylee. Heh-ho.

Regds,

Myles

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com