Click here if you are having website access problems ×

what mods for next season

Jason Plato

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see how the business goes and i'll then decide in the new year. At least a swap of the dampers to freestyle ones and some fresh ACB10's.

Pressure is on in class 3 to get to Dave Andrews obviously, otherwise i'll be down on power ☹️

Rob - what was the waiting time to get booked in woth DVA?

Steve

well it all depends on what size of K you have

from what I understand, the only thing you can do with an 1800, is forged pistons, verniers, and move to metal 48mm tb

1600's must run on standard ecu and use the original plenum,so that means bigger TB, head work, verniers, forged pistons

of cours ICBWIOA

if you have a xflow - unlimited mods allowed 😬

rob *smile*

So that means we need 175 brake to be fully competitive in class 2 or 3 So I have some work to do???? *eek* *eek* *eek* Screen is definitely coming off only managed 108 at Aintree against Mark/Rich et al 115.Thats too much ☹️ ☹️ Then of course it is tyres????? Which will presumably depend on what we all discuss in November........clearly if I am to better 5th I have to get busy. Now which bank account can I raid *confused* *confused* *confused* *confused*

Roger7C

In 05 most of the quick boys in class 3 were still pretty much standard outputs.

IMO a gentlemans agreement to not spend big wedge for 06 would be a top idea. Otherwise we all end up parting with over a grand to maintain the status quo between the 1600's. I guess it will at least relegate David and Paul to 4th and 5th in their "little" 1800's though *tongue*

Steve

Dave - is the hellier engine on standard superpsort mems?

reckon last year I was running 135 ish bhp, next year hope to be nearer 145 and e on equal footing with thos big nasty 1800's

WRT to class3

2 years ago - Dave McFarlane won and set class records everywher with his big bhp xflow, but he did suffer numerous technical problems due to the state of tune, not only tot he engione but rest of drive train

this year Paul Dickens and David Nelson - reset the bar and nearly every class record in 1800 un modded K's

Roger - so IMO you shoud have a competive engine if it is a K and around 145 bhp

then of course you need the tyres and knoweldge/skill to out into into practice

DannyBoy in class 2 (similar engine requirements) proved a newbie can come and be near the front with a largely standard car

rob

I turn my back for 5 minutes and the 1.6K versus 1.8K arguement rears its head once again. This is up for discussion at the Tech Forum on 20th November with only small minimal costs changes being recommended for Classes 2 & 3 so that standard cars remain competitive. Anyone wishing to purchase the Hellier 176bhp engine should be aware that should these recommendations be approved they will end up in Classes 4 & 5.

Off to the pub now so you can carry on with your debate *tongue*

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

I still reckon you can be competitive in a standard car, let alone one with 145 BHP.

What I learnt from others this year is how differently people approach sprinting. In particular David's attention to detail and amount of thought on set-up at Curborough made me think that even with the same spec car I would not beat him.

I'm convinced that someone with good mechanical knowledge who puts time into playing with and thinking about their set-up will always beat me as I tend to just bung the thing on a trailer and turn up to the next event and see what happens.

Instead of throwing money at my engine I suspect I would actually gain more from driver training and learning something about how to set a car up properly. I still don't understand what my suspension does and what difference playing with it will make.

Leave class 2 & 3 as they are I say - it's close, competitive and friendly at present, why dabble with it.

steve