Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Finned aluminium brake drums

R2D2

Anyone interested in finned alloy brake drums for an Ital axle?

Classic cars featured an article about a Company in Leicester that is manufacturing alloy drums to any design. They fit cast iron inserts and look quite good.

I thought about getting a set made to reduce unsprung weight without all of the hassle of a disc conversion and handbrake problems etc.

I think the cost should be about £250 a pair but the pattern equipment needs paying for and the more sets to cost it over the easier it would be.

If anyone is interested I would be happy to organise it.

I haven't seen these drums yet, just some photographs in Classic Car but I used Minifins on a Cooper S for years without any distortion problems.

I can't imagine that they will be a great deal different in terms of dimension to the standard cast iron drums apart from the extra diameter due to the fins.

If they cast the drum using an LM6 or similar alloy (and this is a logical choice) , the tensile strength won't be very much different to the type of cast iron that brake drums are made of and will probably have better fatigue properties. LM6 is also used in marine applications and has relatively good corrosion resistance even in salt water environments so from a materials point of view I wouldn't have any concerns.

The biggest problem will be keeping the cast iron band tight in the casting , but LM6 also has the advantage that its coeffiecient of expansion is relatively low due to the high silicon content.

In any case,I would certainly check out the metallurgy before I spent any money.

Elie,

Do you need standard RS2000 Backplates? They were standard with 8" brakes and manual adjusters, (to avoid locking up when the front dips because of the Pinto) unlike the Mexico and the RS1600 which were 9". I just took a set of 8"backplates off my Mk 1 RS2000. They are in very good condition and you are welcome to have them.

I will try to see if I can get drums that are Ford compatible,