Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's more use - ammeter or oil temperature

nickdodo

I have an ammeter fitted to my car that does not seem to be working. I have a number of options:

1) Leave it in the car not working – fills up a hole in the dash.

2) Remove it and leave a nasty hole in the dash. *thumbdown*

3) Replace it with another ammeter.

4) Replace it with an oil temp gauge.

5) Replace it with an ammeter and replace the water temp gauge with an oil and water temp gauge.

Has anyone any view on which option is most useful: ammeter, oil temp or neither?

Of course I could put a clock in....

Nick

Nick in the (1987) 1700 X Flow...

• Support Team

I would go for oil temperature.

Its surprising how much longer than water oil takes to get up to temp so very useful. Also useful on trackdays as oil temp can reach critical values.

What does an ammeter give you?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

The ammeter will show rate of charge a voltmeter will show voltage of charging circuit.

I would go for the oil temp gauge for 2 reasons.

1) see when the oil is above 50-60 degrees so you know when it's OK to use the full revs.

2) If on the track will show you when the oil is getting very hot. I've know oil temps in non-dry sumped cars go above 140c. Not sure what you do but at least you know the oil is very hot.

2 may not be relavent if you don't use the car on track.

I've got a dry sump, an oil cooler plumbed in with an oil-stat and rarely get the oil to 80c on the road. On the track it goes straight to 80 (from 50/60 normal road temp). The oil-stat allows oil through the oil cooler at 80c so at least I know the cooler is doing it's job.

ed to say that I agree with BOSS. I have a Voltmeter and it never warned me when my new Brize alternator wasn't working because I hadn't earthed it until it was too late. The Elan has an ammeter and it reads +30 as soon as anything electrical is switched on. Normal (no lights/wipers or anything other than ignition) sees it hovereing around +10 or +15

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Edited by - nverona on 25 Oct 2005 17:58:22

Nick

If you use an identical sender for the oil as you use for water temp, you can then use your water temp gauge to read water and oil by means of a simple single-pole, double-throw switch. That gives you the option of replacing the old ammeter with a new one.

The ammeter is useful in showing charge rate in general and, in particular, initial charge after starting which gives confidence (or not) that the alternator is functioning OK.

I drilled and tapped my sump bolt to take an oil temperature sender and it has worked perfectly without a leak for nearly 3 years.

It seems a shame to throw away some useful information when you already have a hole in the dash.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

I think the switch for water/oil temp sounds good - either that or replace a gauge with a dual pressure/temp gauge. (dual oil temp/water temp?)

The ammeter may be ok - checking it out I think a previous owner (I've only had the car a month) has done some bodge wiring ☹️. I've removed some wires that don't go anywhere - fixed some bitsthat didn't work, but I need to remove some rubbish that has been put in and replace it - slightly longer job than I anticipated. If I don't do it I expect I'll be calling AA relay before to long. Some of the bodge is related to the wiring between alternator and BAttery... thats why the ammeter does not work - even though it is connected to the correct wires. So when I get a spare weekend I'll be crimping away - thanks for the help. What I cant find is a dual water temp/oil temp - any ideas?

Nick

Nick in the (1987) 1700 X Flow...