Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Normal noise on a 5 Speed box ?

eric

Hi everybody

When I use the engine break in 5th speed, just taking off

the right foot from the throttle pedal everything is normal.

If I do the same thing in 4th or 3th, there is a zziinnn noise.

It is not loud but I will like to know if it is normal or

dangerous for my box

thanks for all

Hi Eric

What engine do you have? The reason I ask is that my K series Caterham also once developed a very worrying Zizzing noise. I couldn't work out where it was coming from, sometimes I was convinced it was the gearbox (5 speed), at other times I thought something had come loose within the exhaust. It turned out to be that the plate covering the plugs was loose, one of the bolts was slightly loose. Tighten that and the noise ceased. It reuned later, same problem, same bolt. the bolt was either marginally too long, or the hole too short, fettle that and the problem has never re[peated itself.

Re Marseille, I love the place, spent a couple of weeks there in 1996, staying with a friend in 13006, superb city, not touristy a really great place. One day we popped over to Cassis and I saw a lovely strippedout Se7en there, bright red-orange. Wonderful car for the climate.

John Gathard

My engine is a 1600 Sprint x-flow.

I have found the same problem described in the archives.

The amusing thing is that the noise is worst with 2 persons in the 7.

I will try the Schell spirax G80 as oil for my speed box and I will see.

I have the Ford Oil but not the good one (The good one is impossible to get from now)

Concerning Cassis and all the area around, it is very nice and it is of course my playing ground with my Caterham.

Concerning the weather, it is true that we have chance but don't think there is no cold, there is some.

Anyway, I use the 7 all the year and the best time to use is :

spring, autumn, and the nights of summer.

I hope you can come again in our area.

eric@bonzai.fr

Hi Pierre

Are you in Marseille too? If so, with Eric also there are there many se7ens in the area? And, do you know the car I wrote about? I can't remember whether the plates were Bouche du Rhone or Var, but ISTR it was local.

What's Mondial?

I enjoyed the Sammy Naceri film Taxi - where were the supports trhe rogue Mercedes finished up on. When I was over there they were building the new TGV line, I remember seeing it from a friends house in Eguilles, I wondered if the "road" in the film was in fact the raised section fro TGV between Salon and Marseille?

Best wishes

John Gathard

Hi John,

There are about 10 Seven (Lotus and Caterham)and 2 Martin and 2 Donkervort that <

In Marseille I know 5 Caterham, 2 Xflow (mine included), 1 1600 rover 115 HP, 1 VVC, 1 caterham live axle with BDA

3 Lotus :1 serie 2, 1 serie 2 with twin cam and 1 only bare chassis as serie 2

1 Donkervort with a 18 year old girl as driver and a big A

( same as L for learner)on the spare wheel

Most of them don't move a lot, except mine twice per week

The orange one, never seen but I know that there are one or two moving like gost in the town

Tomorow I will see with a friend (for him), a Caterham Cosworth with a BDR under the bonnet. May be one more in Marseille