Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Big Brake Upgrades

Harry Flatters

Steve, if you can wait a while, I am going to fit a kit from this company, but maybe not quite what you have mentioned.

I am going for the 4 pot slimline calipers, 280MM dia solid disc with aluminium centre. This should give powerfull braking and more "feel" than the caterham vented set up due to the bigger diameter. Very light too.

I should get a quote today, and will order immediately, but it's likely to be around a month before any feedback will be available. Is your car off road for winter?

Regards, Mike.

I have the Wilwood (Dynalite) kit supplied by Hi-Spec via Rally Design, excellent lightweight calipers on large disks. I use Hawk brake pads. They give nexcellent feel and trmenedous braking ability. My only criticisim would be that the calipers dont have dust seals which can lead to premature corrosion.

Oily

Like oilyhands I use the Willwood calipers on my race car, I retained the standard discs and made my own mounting brackets and am very pleased with the set up.

The calipers cost about £210 inc Vat, if the kit for £400 includes pads and discs, mounting bells and caliper mounts then it is very good value and may produce even better braking.

I say may because I am not conviced of the need for bigger discs other than for marketing or posing reasons, maybe for the heavier cars but not for my Blackbird.

I agre with oilyhands about the lack of dust seals which may cause a problem on a neglected road car, also the pads are a very loose fit in the caliper housings, great for speedy changes but rattle a lot and may be annoying on a road car

A friend has just fitted Bremsport Calipers and these retain the standard discs are a straight fit and cost around £300 from Burtons. The calipers are very good quality. I have the Caterham AP set up but it costs an arm and a leg as you will know.

Edited by - Rob walker on 10 Dec 2001 11:45:59