Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Water temperature

seven7

I have just been out for a blast. I noticed the water temp gauge did not go above 60 degrees. Is it likely the thermostst is duff and what should the gauge read. Also where is it fitted on the engine? The car is a 1.6 Supersport.

Thanks for any info.

Chris

The thermostat housing is on the drivers side of the engine, where all the hoses meet. The thermostat sits inside the plastic housing, it is better to remove the 8 or 9mm bolt in the centre of the housing and remove the housing as a complete unit. Your dipstick is also held by this bolt. It makes the job much easier to remove and fit the bottom hose. Before you do this, I would run the car stationary to make sure it wasn't just very cold where you were ?

Clik

The Impatient

Chris

I've just fixed a similar problem with my 1.6K. It was a duff sensor so it may be worth checking this too.

It's located on the water rail running down the near side of the engine. It's at the rear of the rail and has a single wire going to it with a spade connector.

Before replacing mine, I checked to make sure it wasn't an earthing problem (current to earth runs thru the water rail / engine earth).

To do this:

- unplug the wire from the sensor

- ignition on

- with a suitable scrap piece of wire connect (touch) the wire just removed to the casing of the sensor (the brass(?) bit)

- temp guage should shoot round to max

If this doesn't happen, then the sensor may be OK and it may be an earthing problem.

Touch the wire mentioned above to:

- engine

- chassis

- battery negative (if the guage does not respond with FULL deflection then it could be that up the spout).

in that order which should give you a clue where the problem lies.

Hope this helps and sorry response is a bit late, just trying to get my number of posts up ;-)

BCNU

NN blush.gif