Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VDO Speedo kit report

Tony Martyr

I have now commissioned the direct speedo replacement using a VDO 80mm display and magnetic pulse sender; all supplied by Merlin Motorsport.

It works very well, calibration was done via a GPS unit after getting the pulse/distance setting somewhere near (directions are suppled with the unit)

The motion is more damped than the original and the dial illumination is much better. Dual miles and km per hour display

The four magnets are epoxy glued to the prop shaft. Emery off the paint then use the hooks joints to give 90 degree points and etch the area with a scriber before glueing each one in turn letting it cure at the top (one magnetic per evening)

The pick up braket is made out of 2 mm aluminium strip and is pot rivetted into place. The sender/magnet gap is set at about 1 mm.

All seems to work very well.

Now I can block up the speedo drive spindle that leaks

Hi,

I have also installed the VDO speedo. I have the continental version up to 200km/h.

Instead of using the magnet on the prop shaft, I have installed a hall sensor which bolts on the original speedo cable.

I also used GPS to calibrate it. It is really nice because you can re-calibrate it when using a new diff ratio. I have a very short diff (4.4:1) and there is no suitable mechanical speedo angle drive. VDO would charge me a lot of money to calibrate the mechanical speedo so in fact it was almost cheaper to get the electronic speedo.

I am setting up my website to include some pictures. In the meantime, anybody who would like the pics can send me a mail kloske@aol.com and I will mail them.

Hi,

I have also installed the VDO speedo. I have the continental version up to 200km/h.

Instead of using the magnet on the prop shaft, I have installed a hall sensor which bolts on the original speedo cable.

I also used GPS to calibrate it. It is really nice because you can re-calibrate it when using a new diff ratio. I have a very short diff (4.4:1) and there is no suitable mechanical speedo angle drive. VDO would charge me a lot of money to calibrate the mechanical speedo so in fact it was almost cheaper to get the electronic speedo.

I am setting up my website to include some pictures. In the meantime, anybody who would like the pics can send me a mail kloske@aol.com and I will mail them.

Andrew - I was going to get an 'o' ring sealed plug made with the same retention collar as the existing drive unit so that the same circlip can be used, but I intended to retain the drive spindle (unless I had to get the engine out for other reasons) and simply make to plug hollow and long enough to cover the spindle. Please let me know details of the proprietary unit

Pierre: it was not cheap, I think total cost will be cira 240 pounds which I can only justify by a greatly improved display and stopping the chronic oil leak from the gearbox drive spindle. I can send you a JPEG

GPS calibration:

You do not really need a GPS to calibrate the speedo.

To calibrate the speedo, you have to enter calibratio mode and then drive the car for 1km or 1mile (depending on your dial). By doing that, the speedo will count the pulses for the distance.

I used a handheld GPS to measure 1km but you can also for example use another cars speedo to measure 1km or maybe a bicycle. Handheld GPS just makes it easier.

Klaus

Calibration of speedo.

There are 3 methods: You can calculate the pulses per unit distance of travel and put that into the unit as a pulse count. You can use a run over a calibrated kilometre or mile by pressing the button at start and finish, or you can adjust the speed indication at a fixed speed which is designed to be done on a rolling road.

I calculated the pulses and found that the indicated speed was 15% lower than actual so I fine tuned using a GPS unit. It would be best to have a passenger helping during this procedure but I was blest with an empty road.

There are regulations govening speedo readings that state that it is illegal to have the actual speed higher than indicated speed and the average industrial setting is about 4 percent optimistic. Mine is about bang on