Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Screaching when starting

Wingnonut

When I was fiddling around with my sarter motor over the summer (trying to get the bloody thing to work reliably *mad*) I once fitted it and it made a screaching noise when it started the engine *confused*. Removing it and refitting made it go away.

Now I've bought and fitted a new SM it's doing it again and I can't seem to stop it from doing it by refitting. It starts the car no problem (with the new battery as well it takes only a second *thumbup*) and there doesn't seem to be any damage being done to the SM drive or the ring gear but I am unhappy that it is doing it.

Anybody got any ideas what it may be thats causing it and how to solve 🤔 I guess something is not lining up *confused*

Cheers,

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087

The problem is usually the mechanism that ensures that the starter turns the flywheel in the cranking phase, and then spins or free wheels between the engine firing and disengagement ( there must be a technically correct name for it *confused*). I stripped my starter ( K series standard starter) and thoroughly cleaned this mechanism, be warned it is not easy to get apart and even more difficult to re-assemble. The mechanism works on the basis of needle rollers being allowed to rotate in one direction and jamming in the other. I gave mine a small amount of light machine oil which did the trick for at least the mean while ( it hasn't squealed for the last 4k miles).

Hope this helps

Tom

Have you checked the alignment of the starter motor? If it is not squarely bolted up to the flwheel then it can be rubbibg on the pinion teeth ?

Are you sure that it is not touching the flywheel, or any weld marks? Check with a torch and rotate the engine with a spanner to see if there is any score marks on the flywheel. Also examine the pinion wheel on the motor to see if it has any uneven score marks on it . *thumbup*

Carbon Components Here *arrowright* K9 Composites

Checked its sitting square and checked both ring gear and pinion gear and neither seem to be oddly marked.

Once it's started, running and the SM has disengaged then every thing is fine. It's just the starting process that makes the noise.

If i hadn't heard it from the old motor I would have thought it was the new unit it's self but because it has happened with both I can only assume it must be something to do with the fitting *confused*

Think'll have another fiddle and see if I can make it go away *wink* 😬

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087

Does it only make the noise whilst actually cranking the engine? If so, could it be the ring gear slipping on the flywheel? Now that you have a new starter motor and battery, maybe the additional starting torque available is causing the ring gear to slip if it is already slightly loose.

To test this theory you could mark the position of the ring gear on the flywheel with a dab of paint, start the engine then switch off and look to see if the ring gear has slipped relative to the flywheel. *idea*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Yes I remember reading somewhere about tack welding the ring gear in place to prevent it rotating relative to the flywheel. Can't think where though now *confused*

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO (McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS)

Dave, you'll be first on the list if the time comes trust me *wink*

Thanks for the link Bozz.

Got the tipex out on saturday and marked the ringgear and flywheel. Started the car a number of times and dispite the screaching the ring is not spinning on the flywheel *confused*

I give up. I'm growing quite fond of the noise now 😬

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087