Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suggestions for allround VX handling improvements

grover

For Xmas I've decided to treat my nearest and and dearest to a bit of an upgrade! I have a very standard 92 VX HPC, all I've done is ditch the 16 inch wheels in place of 13 inch a couple of years ago. I want to start with the handling: Change the brakes and also springs, dampers ARB sizes etc. I saw the earlier string on springs but presumably things will be a bit different for the heavier VX. I want reasonable comfort for the road but better track handling. I get a lot of understeer at the moment. I think I'm sorted on the front brakes but could do with some advice on the rears as well as suggestions on springs, dampers, ARB, etc. Ta!

Grover,

The current threads on 'Adj ARB's' and 'tyre pressures and understeer' will give you a bit more feedback. In terms of springs and dampers I have just been thru this on my Vx and there are 2 cars that I know of which illustrate just how different the set ups can be...Arnie's or Alex's.

Arnie has trax-spax adjustables with springs at 350 front & 200 rear. ARBS at softer setting both front and back. This is also the set-up I hace copied which I think quite a few will feel is too hard for the road. (I'm hoping it will be great on the track though)

Alex's car is much softer allround. I think he has 180 front springs and 130 rears(?) and I'm not sure about the ARB's. I've followed Alex on track days and his car is certainly quick enough. However, the more I delve into this subject, the more ways I find to skin the same cat, and on top of that there are then the personal preferences to contend with...confused?... don't worry you soon will be!

Grover,as Captain said there are more than 2 ways to skin a cat.If you use the search facility you will find tons of information.I am going through exactly the same process with a 92 VX as well.Wide track with a Juno adjustable front ARB is a good start.Springs and stiffness depend on what you intend to use the car for ie road track sprint.

Andy G

GRIFF id=red>

Why not consider going widetrack and using a whole supersport suspension Bilstein setup? By general concensus, 250lb front and 150lb rear should be a good starting point. You could even try the 2-rate rear springs that Caterham use. I've got these on my car. 18mm front arb and 1/2 inch rear arb, or even try the Juno adjustable front ARB.

If you want to try something different, talk to Dave Kimberley (see inside cover of Demon Tweeks for his number). Although his Rose joint setup might be a bit extreme for what you want, he can advise and supply on a whole range of dampers and springs. He's also a Caterham Vx man, but not in the sense that you or I understand! His car not only eats R500's, it swallows them whole! smile.gif