Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A-Frame bush

JKJ

Just wondering if any of you guys could tell me how easy it is to renew the A-frame bushes, and more importantly how to do it. The said item appears to have degraded, with part of the exposed bush splitting, no obvious affect on the handling, and the rear end seems quite stable. Thanks in advance.

Very easy,

There are various threads on here. But as a summary,

1. Jack up the car and support where the A frame joins the chassis using axle stands.

2. Remove bolt from A frame bush and pull down A frame.

3. Remove old bush and check to see whether there is a washer between the two halves of the bushes - some do, some don't.

4. Insert new bush - USE NO OIL or GREASE!!!!. It help to squeeze the two halves together using mole grips or G-clamp.

5. Push A frame back into locating lug and replace bolt.

Cheers

Peter

PS Oil & grease is what causes the bush to degrade in the first place.

Thanks for that, Peter. I can remember having a hell of a problem getting new bushes inserted in the past.

However, this business of oil/grease, and split casings, old 7 problem. Mine's dripping a bit, despite strengthening.

Why hasn't this problem been solved????

Rod

I was thinking of doing a rearend overhall (ooer) this winter, generally how much of a job is it to remove all the bushes ? In particular I am thinking of the rear arms which connect under the mudguard to the axel. Do they size ? nothing has been done to them for at leat 4 years? (10 thou miles). Probably the originals In which case nealy 7 years. Am I looking a loda grief ?

jkj,

i did this with a friend of mine earlier this year for the first time... it's a bit fiddly, but easier than i thought. all in, it took easily under an hour.

the key to success was a pack of red budget g-clamps from b&q. they come in three sizes, and the smallest one ( i think ) was extremely useful to compress the bushes before pushing it all back together again.

there is a lubricating paste that you can apply to rubber ( not copperslip, i've forgotten what it's called ) that helped a bit.

have fun ! it's an essential baptism of seven tinkering.

see ya',

j

Tony,

The Bushes can get siezed in place, as can the bolts that hold it together. I had to resort to a large club hammer, hacksaw, and finally the big press at the local garage to remove all the bushes from the back of mine when I did the rebuild this year (first time in 14 years some of them had been removed).

if it was assembled properly, with plently of the right sort of lubricant, and its not been out in the wrong conditions (salty roads esp.) you may be OK.

Dave H

When you start putting reasonable power through a live axle, or even drive a standard live axle car hard for that matter, the A frame bushes last 5 minutes and the diff nose leaks. HT Racing have solved both of these problems and now have several satisfied Caterham owners with box section strengthened English axle replacements at reasonable cost. They are designed to be direct replacements for the Ital giving strength, light weight and a wider choice of cwp's with lsd provision. In addition they don't need your axle and are returned fully powder coated. Telephone Aaron Tucker at HT Racing for more details on 01474 872888.