Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Mend & sell or just sell?

barry.h

Following a visit to the scenery at Shelsley *eek* a few weeks ago I have now decided to move from the Blackbird to a single seater. However that decision leaves me with a live axle chassis in need of a new front end at a cost of about £1500.

Has anybody any thoughts on whether I would be better advised to have Arch do the work and then sell the chassis (plus axle etc.) or just sell the chassis as the basis of a future project for someone (who could specify to Arch what they wanted)?

The car was never SVA'd as it was built as a hillclimb/sprint car.

All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Barry

Sorry to hear about the off Barry.

I reckon that anyone who buys an accident damaged chassis will expect to pay bottom dollar only. Whereas if you sell it as a rolling chassis (I assume that the engine is kaput?) you should get closer to top dollar - especially given the successes you have had with the car and its general excellent level of preparation.

To test the theory could you put it on e-bay with a high reserve?

Good luck and sorry to hear you're moving away from the Caterham, but good luck with the single seater. Keep us posted!

Andy

Cheers Mike.

Trouble with Shelsley is there's no margin for error. And having been under the record at the previous event only to have Robert get a little bit more under, I was perhaps too determined to have a go in less than optimum conditions *confused*

Still the OMS should be interesting and a whole new learning curve.

Barry

Dave/Mike,

Thanks.

I think I am inclined to your view of repairing the chassis.

Not sure about putting another engine in though. Perhaps selling it as a rolling chassis for someone to put whichever engine they wanted in might appeal to the BEC brigade - especially as the back axle is 3.54:1. And the car was extremely light with the Blackbird in which would make it ideal for anything from Fireblade to Hayabusa.

Maybe I shall just have to advertise it and see what happens.

Cheers,

Barry