Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Airbox - bulk buy??

Griff

Anyone interested in trying to do a bulk buy on carbon airboxes? Specifically for K-series with throttle bodies.

I haven't done all the research yet on best types etc so would appreciate feedback to narrow down the field.

Cheers.

It's not pink, it's medium red violet... 😬

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got the 'Scouse box - so has OBNS.

ISTR him posting fairly recently that he got an extra 10bhp or so on Emeralds rollers by taking it off... It's a good product, but there might be less-restrictive solutions out there.

DJ does OK with his - but he modified it with a much larger air-filter and neck.

Also, FWIW, I thought the 90mm trumpets (again, the ones I've got) are a cost-option. The standard (in the price) jobs are shorter(!?)

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I'm thinking an airbox will likely reduce power on a rolling road too, as it is impossible to provide the airflow for the box to work in most of these installations.

I also think this is why my engine ran rich on the rollers last week - the ECU has maybe calibrated itself for more fueling at high speed load sites.....

Power is nothing if you're kicked off a track day for noise! And RMA days at Bedford are expensive enough without having to short shift around all the interesting bits *mad*

I spoke to several of the noise police there and they said a large propotion of the problems are with induction noise rather than exhausts and that airboxes on Catherhams make a big difference. Listening to the video footage with microphone out of the main airstram at the back of the car, I can clearly hear induction over exhaust under heavy acceleration.

I'll do some homework and ask prospective suppliers the question about VX engines, roller bodies etc. Is space more or less of a problem around the intake on the VX cars compred to K-series cars? When I've got the options sorted I'll post again.

It's not pink, it's medium red violet... 😬

My problem was apparently caused by the use of the much bigger 90mm trumpets. (they are 90mm long and 90mm wide at the bell mouths) Dave Walker felt that they were too close to the inside of the air box and that this was causing the problem.

When using the shorter trumpets there has not been a reported loss of power with the box on v open.

DW suggested that I make a 15mm spacer, which should eliminate the problem.

This I did and ran the set-up for the first time at Cadwell. The car did feel more lively but the only real way to determine if it has cleared up the problem is to run back to back tests preferably on the rollers.

Just how much extra benefit you get from using the 90 mm trumpets v loss using the 90mm trumpets and the standard air box I don’t know.

What I can say is that I doubt that I would pass many noise tests if I had foam filters as opposed to the air box!!

Grant

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

OBNS, I'm also interested in how you made the spacer - I too am running the BS 90mm trumpets with the BS airbox kit. Unfortunately I sold the standard 43mm(?) trumpets which came with the kit, thinking that they'd give a bit less torque...

Apologies for high-jack, but if anyone is interested in a brand-new un-used DITP carbon air box which will fit a K or VX let me know

Kind regards

Anthony

Anthony

Car is nearly ready, but I have be saying that for at least a year :-)

if you use spacers they would have to be mounted between the airbox backplate and throttle body . The trouble is that the BS airbox has a scallop cut out on its underside to clear the clutch cable . if you space the airbox away from the throttle bodies then you will foul the clutch cable . The clearance around the chassis cross member is also very tight .

I looked at ways of using 130mm trumpets and had some ally spacers made up , but the box clashed with chasiss and clutch , then I went to emerald and got a result I was happy with on shorter trumpets - although there is more potential, so I left it as it was .

My plan is to cut away the underside of the airbox to allow clearance around the clutch and chassis and then re fiberglass it . Then use my ally spacers between the back plate and throttle bodies. But this will be after I have tested the increased trumpet length on the rollers / dyno .

The BS box will not fit roller barrels unless you cut the bonnet up and have part of the box protruding .

Why not make a box for the rollers from sheet alluminium ? *smile*

Dave

remember that the box ( with enlarged entry) doesnt appear to restrict on power upto 245 bhp . I also havent any issues with throttle response.

and its proven on many K series engines that 90mm trumpets work inside this box and with this engine. Any extra length shoudl be tested on your engine before we all hack our boxes up 😬

Firstly let me say that this mod does not require you to cut the box up!

I found the same problem that Dave mentions regarding the clutch cable. However, I went ahead and made mine up out of plastic channelling. see here

Essentially I used 2 pieces of 18mm wide plastic channelling bought from Homebase and glued them together to form a box, using PVC plastic weld bought from the plumbers merchants. Its the stuff that is normally used to weld plastic drain / water pipes together. I cut V sections out to allow the thing to bend before gluing both the inner and outer. I also had the joins in different places on the outer and inner to give extra rigidity.

Once I was happy with the shape I glued them together. This produced something around 20mm deep and very ridged. I fitted a thin strip of self adhesive foam to one side and then attached the spacer to the aluminium back plate using 6 very small self tapers and then drilled the 5 box mounting holes. I needed longer mounting bolts to fit the air box in place.

The trumpets and back plate stay in the standard position with only the box being spaced out.

As Dave says, the cut out for the clutch cable is then moved out of position. Fortunately my box cleared the cable by about 4 or 5mm. That said when I pull the engine I will grind out the box and refabricate to make sure that there is more of a gap.

I checked carefully everywhere else and I am pleased to say that it does not foul any of the chassis members or the bonnet.

20mm is about as wide as you can go though because of the chassis taper on a narrow body and the fact that the more you space the box out the higher the top gets because it is made on the cant.

Im sure that there is a more elegant solution but so far this works fine!

The trumpets are the BS ones

I hope this helps.

Pictures updated to show the spacer in place see here

Grant

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 17 Oct 2005 14:41:52