Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Electrical Fuel Pump for 1.7 Xflow SuperSprint

MusCat

The car is a 1989 Super Sprint XFlow - twin 40DCOEs, around 140bhp - electric fuel pump.

The Facet Silver Top fuel pump has just packed up (Saturday night and away from home).

Please can anyone give me the type/part number for the Facet Silver Top.

Or the type/part number for an equivalent (reputably more reliable) Webcon fuel pump.

Brian,

I think an electric has the advantage of being able to cope with higher flows/pressure necessary for higher bhp engines. I was told that the mechanical one would struggle to supply a 150bhp+ xflow. The other advantage is that you fill the float chambers before you start turning over the engine *smile* *smile*.

Generally the mechanical one is pretty reliable with just a simple cam lobe striking a diaphragm as it rotates - worst that can happen is the diaphragm or seal going which will just spew a small amount of fuel into the sump.

I have had a Facet solid state one for 3 years and it had been fine.

Mike

The only drag with a mechanical pump is if the engine has been left for a while and the float chambers are empty thru evaporation, it then takes a while to fill the float chambers so starting is delayed. With an electric pump the chambers are filled pretty much instantly, but do make sure you use a fuel pressure regulator since the float valves are overwhelmed at pressures greater than 4PSI or so.

Oily

Definately agree the electric pump allows the car to fire first time rather than churning the engine over just to get fuel to the carbs. Must be easier on the battery and the starter motor, neither of which are particularly known for their longevity on a xflow. If you car is not used daily I'd say it was a worth while upgrade.

Sorry Brian, NO, get the motor burning and turning as soon as possible, when you crank on the starter with the plugs in place there is next to no oil flow, the oil pump isn't designed to run at less than about 900 rpm (crankshaft) and produce any sensible oil pressure, let alone flow, so crank, fire, run, under no load at about 1500 rpm, and watch the oil pressure rise.

Long periods of "starter cranking" are bad for the bearings.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Thanks guys. The pump that failed was a Facet Silvertop Competition. So it has been replaced today, like for like.

But on starting up the engine (1700cc Xflow, twin 40DCOEs, 140 bhp) the tick-over had increased from 1200rpm to 4.0-4.5k. Have brought it down to 1200rpm again. And the car runs fine, perhaps a little better at low revs, but no significant difference at speed.

But why should the tickover have increased? There were no obvious signs of fuel starvation with the old pump before it gave up. Two plugs sooted up a while back when stuck in a jam for 45 minutes at Shelsley Walsh, but the other two were a nice dark grey. It did 100mph+ at the recent Brands Hatch track day. The car pops and bang a bit, but it always has done. From the exhaust I think.

I have not checked the car out to see whether a fuel pressure regulator has been fitted. What happens if the pressure is too high at the carbs?