Click here if you are having website access problems ×

windscreen where should it go ??

Paul22uk

got a black windscreen at the weekend (thankyou martin) but i don't have any holes in my scuttle ! so where should i drill them !some measurements would help !! there is no mention of this the build manual as i guess thay normally come with the screens on ! some help/tips would be good !!!

many thanks

Paul

No one is answering my question on how to take off a windscreen (see earlier thread) so in a round about way you may be able to help. Are the bolts in the kit?, is do they come with locking nuts? or glue?, if they say you should glue the nuts on I would suggest you don't.. The windscreen on mine sits about 1 inch in front or behind the two central press studs (depends on whether you look from the front or the back), I'll measure it up when I get home tonight. do you want measurements from any paricular reference points?

If any one else reads this please please please give me some suggestions on removing aforesaid bolts/nuts - I am on the verge of taking a large cold chisel and my sledge hammer to the whole assembly.

sorry i don't have a answer to your question !!! as mine was i second hand item it was already pre built !!!

but i would be good if you could measure where the screen site !

at the centre of the scuttle panel between the wipers !! the distance from the front of the scuttle to the screen and the distance from the rear of the scuttle to the screen

bottom of stachions are thay parrelle with thee bottom edge of the scuttle at the side ! and how far up is the bottom of the stachions from the base of the scuttle !!

i hope this is clear any other measurement would be good that could be usefull as i only want to drill these hole once !!!!

many thanks

Paul

The Windscreen, sits on the scuttle. It bolts to the side upright frames. The surround should have holes in it, which line up the uprights.

Buda,

I suspect no one is answering your question, because they can't understand what the problem is. I have removed my windscreen on many occasions, it just unbolts. The screws on the side of the upright, just unscrew, the bolts around the uprights are allen key, with a nut on the back.

Buda,

I still can't see the problem. Put a spanner on the nut, and use an allen key on the bolt. If you can't hold the allen key, use either a socket key or put a bar over the key to gain some purchase.

The nuts are probably just tight.

Hi

Ask to Caterham, they have the right mesurement and don't forget to ask them in their mesurement where is the front and the back (I had the problem)

It is very important not to do a mistake, because the sidecreens will not fit and the wiper assembly will not run properly.

I hope this may help

Eric

Paul

I've just measured it BUT check with Caterham please please please, don't blame me, not even just a little bit if this doesn't work..

Scuttle (centre just left of washers) to windscreen (metal bit - not seal), from engine side, 36mm this is taken to the start of the round over down to the bit where the bonnet sits.

The scuttle / stanchion triangle bit 'seems' to be parallel and is 20mm to base of scuttle above where the panel bends under, directly under the bolts that hold it on (extreeemly tightly in my case).

Disclaimer: These are the measurements taken on my car and my car only - I do not guarantee that they are even vaguely applicable to anyone elses car, and, as I have as yet only managed to loosen one of the nyloc bolts (with margarine, WD40 and a socket with an extension to give some more leverage (:-)) refuse to guarantee that my windscreen is on correctly.

Hope this helps somewhat (mines a K by the way): anyway back to the garage, anyone else want any measurements whilst I've got me tape out??

Buda (Alistair??)

As previously stated, just use a spanner on the nylocs and allen key on the bolt.

I removed on of the bolts on my screen at the weekend to fit a motorcycle style tax disc holder. no problems what so ever.

Just take your time, and don't force anything - you will probably end up making it worse!!! thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Martin