Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Windscreen

Buda

I've just had one of those nasty stone thingies put a bullseye chip in the windscreen, Autoglass very nicely came and resin thingied it but its a bit unsightly (about the size of a 10p), they, once again very nicely, suggested that they got me a new windscreen for £50 - wey hey thinks me and promptly asked did they have to fit it, they said yes but very quietly intoned that they wouldn't so that I could keep the part till the salts gone and do it myself. Out of interest I thought I'd have a play and work out how to take off screen (and install tax safe disk holder to side), It was at this point I found that I can't undo the bolts to the winscreen, I've tried spanners, sockets, allen keys, spoons, small pieces of wood but the bolts still don't move (I even checked rotation so I know which way they are supposed to come off). The cars only 2 months old (factory built) and not corroded or anything? any suggestions??? please...

Budha - are you talking about the bolts which hold windscreen frame to the stanchions, if so they should just unscrew

if you are talking about the bolts that hold the stanchions to the side of the car then these are held on with nylocs that can be easily undone with the use of spanner and allen keys. You may have some fiddley bit to get a socket/spanner on if you also have the cover in place below the dash. I have a Sl which doesn't so isn't a problem

also make sure you disconnect the wires which are used for the heated windscreen, you may have to cut these as the connector will not go throught ht e pre drilled hole...

this should be an easy thing to do

rob

Its the nyloc bolts for the stanchions - they don't move, not even a little bit - I'm going to the gym to try and develop some bigger muscles. I'm just a bit worried as the allen key hole in the bolt is in danger of being stripped - its started already. I assume you can re-use the nylocs?

Budha - mine where tight but did give in the end

alternatively under the 6 screws that hold the stanchion to the windcreen and vice versa, as this has the asme desired effect

of course this is no good if you are planning to go screenless smile.gif