Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Possible BB of ZF LSD's THIS IS CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF DEMAND

oldbutnotslow

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At present ZF UK have 13 diffs in stock but they are all reserved for caterham and caterham know this (so we cant have any sneaky ones on the side).

ZF UK hope that the factory will restart production in reasonable numbers now everyones back at work (the germans didn't go back until the 9th due to various public holidays and "bridge" days), hopefully we will get some news soon.

Assuming the price doesn't change from the last batch the price will be £420 inc vat based on collection from Northampton, onward postage would be extra at buyers expense. The price includes a donation to NTL, I'm not making any money for myself out of this deal but I think someone should benefit. ZF UK will contact us as soon as any new stock becomes available.

Anyone who finds a decent deal in the meantime should take it, I wont need any sort of confirmation until ZF have units in stock

They are the same unit which is supplied to Caterham and Mitchell Cotts. They have 30° ramps as standard but the pre-load is set to 60 lb.ft, this can be reduced by machining ~25thou off the back of the ramps or by pressing the bellville springs flatter in a press, I had mine set to ~20lb.ft by modifying the springs as these cost a couple of quid to replace and are readily available. New ramps are what is known as "hard parts" and cost £75 ea so it could have got expensive.

Nifty

speak to Road and Race. They will install the LSD in your diff with all the appropiate adjustments to suit a seven, check and replace bearings and seals. 01959525105

*thumbup*

Malcolm

Edited to say Caterham's price is £600+vat+postage. *eek* although they did offer Grant 10% (?) off for 10+ orders.

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 19 Jan 2006 07:13:57

Now that I have the Quaife BB sorted I think that I need to list those who have expressed an interest in the ZF Dif

I have it that the following are interested: -

1) ME

2) Martin Woodham

3) Dave McCulloch

4) Andy A

5) Richard (in France)

6) Malcolm Hickley (Englishman in Wales) now out

7) Nifty

8) Topq1967 - Netherlands (Quirin van Asper)

9) CharlieD

10) Rob Walker

Are you still interested?

Are there any more?

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 21 Jan 2006 13:45:52

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 20 Feb 2006 12:01:47

Charlie,

It is true to say that the ZF diff that I am talking about and that Bob is negotiating to get will fit and will work as it stands. However, it is not optimised for the 7. The Sierra, which is what the dif is designed originally for, is probably at least twice the weight of the 7 and this is the key. The lack of the extra weight means that it 'locks up' at the wrong time on the 7.

You will need to reduce the pre load which is generally set at the factory at around 52 ft lbs to around 30 ft lbs. Similarly the 'ramps' need to be machined to reduce their angle of attack from 30 degrees to around 38 degrees.

Ideally it is said that the dif case will need to be machined as well but I am not sure why or what is done.

People will debate the preload and like most things you will get differing views. The foregoing information is based on conversations with Phil at Road & Race Transmissions 01959 525105 who not only builds and modifies "cogie bits" but who has successfully raced 7's in the past.

Obviously R&R are not the only ones that will do this sort of work.

Having spoken at length to Phil there is no doubt in my mind that I will have him set mine up. I can do most things on cars but measuring gear backlash is one area that I have never been able to do successfully.

The standard unit from CC costs £660 + vat = £775 + fitting cost and I believe that they are not optimised ( dont quote me on this)

The price that Bob is talking about is a bargain and even allowing for the modification cost its stll way below CC' price!

I hope that this helps *thumbup*

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 21 Jan 2006 18:33:46

Charlie

I have also spoken at length to Phil at R and R, and like Grant I have no doubt that he's the person to set up the the ZF LSD for the seven (he does them for CC), and his charge is reasonable. Generally, he finds the diff bearings can be reused, so this is a potential saving. Interestingly, he felt that the Quaife unit was not suited to the seven at all *eek*. He and CC have been fitting the ZF unit in sevens for a long time. *thumbup*

Malcolm

Charlie, Others,

I don't know Phil at R and R, but if you all say that he's the person to set up the the ZF LSD for the seven. It is parhaps an idea to ask him to make a deal in setting up our Difs.

It will easier for him and us!

Cheers

Quirin

I hope I am on the Dif. waiting list now!

Rob

Ive added you to the list. Its up to Bob now if he can get one for you. 🤔

I have already spoken to Phil about a "Bulk Fit discount" but I am afraid that is something that he is unable to do.

Grant Taylor

OBNS Motorsport

here

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 21 Jan 2006 13:29:36

• 2 weeks later...