Click here if you are having website access problems ×

is 8" too big?

Steve Robinson

Sorry for the crude title 😳

In the past I have always run 7" at the back and 6" at the front for sprinting, but the car I've just got has 8" and 7" instead.

In my numpty head this says to me that it gives me a larger contact area and therefore surely more grip - so is this going to be quicker than selling the 8" rears and reverting to my old set-up that everyone else seems to run in class 3.

(should add - car is 1600 K suspersport, 6 speed box and LSD)

Cheers

steve

try it and see how you get on - I bet it will be quicker *tongue*.

Didnt Mr Dickins run 7" & 8" ACB's this year ? , I recall Tony Thorpe also ran 7&8's when he set a new curborough class 3 record a few years back.

You may have to increase the rear spring rate slightly to over come some understeer induced by the rear end grip .

Dave

Cheers chaps, I'll keep them and try them at the start of the year and see how I get on I think.

Regarding set-up changes - what's that then *confused* I prefer the just jump in and drive technique (which is sort of forced on me by not having a clue what I'm doing!)

Have just checked the compounds and found that is has A30 on the front and A31 on the rear not the A24's unfortunately. How much difference will the compounds make?

Steve

Steve

Compound on ACB's make a huge difference, A30's are for road use 😬 😬 😬 😬

Probably a good second slower than A24's at Curbugger *wink* *wink* *wink*

Graham

Competition Secretary

*cool* 2005 Speed Championship - 13 Rounds with 7 counting towards the championship *cool*

Steve

I'd stick with the 7" front and 8" rear, that is indeed what Paul was using. David, Rob and myself all used 7" front and rear and you drove all three cars for comparison 😬

As BB pointed out you have the wrong compound, loosing 1 sec in 60 sounds about right. You have a good set of track day tyres or if there's a decent amount of tread left sell them and put the money towards your 2006 tyre budget.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Martin

With List 1a's the make of tyre/model is probably more important than the width. The tyre of choice for 2005 was the Stunner Scudo and I used 195/45 x 15 as they are not available in 13". That said these tyres are under evaluation and may not appear in the Blue Book for 2006 so I suggest you wait until it is published.

Mark D

Su77on Se7ens *cool*

Thanks all for, as always, the excellent feedback *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

I'll hang fire on buying anything until the '06 1a list is published and then if the tyre is available in the width go for 8" rear and 7" front. I'm on a '94 chassis so I guess that means I'll need to grind the de-dion ears down to get clearance.

When is the blue book published? Is it early Jan?