Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Uprated rear brakes

sugino

Ugh. It's a horrible thing and has no place on a car like yours. Honestly, it barely works if you're feeling super-lucky on lucky-Tuesday. 99.9% chance of burning out the pads and ending up with no handbrake for the sake of dangling an ugly POS off your DD ears. Its only purpose is to get the car past regulations - it does that poorly too.

Peter,

I agree the spot calipers are poor but it is possible to get them working reasonably well. Mine went through SVA last year with them fitted and they will hold the car on a steep incline and pass an MOT no problem. Its a question of what else is available. The only other alternative apart from those nasty HI- Spec is a separate mechanical caliper for the hand brake manufactured for the Radical by powertec but these cost £350 for the pair. *eek*

And to be fair the reason that the CC spot calipers performance is so poor is largely due the fact that they are not mounted correctly on a U channel bracket that would allow them to self center as was their design. The Caterham deformable brackets are a very nasty bit of engineering and only work if the pads are correctly adjusted and no pad wear has occured. Once the pads wear the bracket is over stressed and the pads drag on the disc.

Edited by - Rob Walker on 13 Oct 2005 09:50:23

Thanks, The spot caliper is what I thought it was (Wilwod Spot). I have several sets from other projects. It was very stupid or lazy to not make the correct floating bracket. I was hoping to find a ready made or easily modified bracket. I suppose I will have to make my own.