Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Does EU3 mean Supersport?

chrisiden

Miraz is correct - the EU3 bit stands for the fact that it conforms to the latest EUropean emissions standards I think, it must be version 3 of those standards.

All new 1.6 & 1.8 caterham K series (except VHPD and R500) will have this engine I think

rob

I think EU3 means Badsport, no shift light and a rev counter with a mind of its own!! Not to mention significant effort to got a std wiring harness adapted.

I just change gear when the engine goes BA BA BA (you know what I mean).

Anyone know if Emerald have got an EU3 (VVC if poss) plugswap ECU yet - that'll solve the problem.

BC

Bob,

I have not yet had any probs with a wayward you know what (Tempting Fate) but yes Ba Ba Ba is every bit as good an indication of when to change up another gear!!teeth.gif

Regards

Martin

PS see my previous posting re shift light

tim ward at caterham told me they now have a shift light for the eu3 two months ago

i think it is a single led on a lenth of wire?i have fitted a omex it works fine and sits nicely between the speedo and rev counter also you can set the points the four led lights come on. cost £80 not bad

Clik

The Impatient

Miras {The shift light fix will be a replacement tacho}

is this what caterham have said i cannot see them giving

all the people with the new eu3 engine a new Tacho ?

is it not the ecu that is the prob not the lightquestion.gif

Edited by - clik on 5 Dec 2001 22:29:53

• 2 weeks later...

Karl at Emerald apparently has a MIL light conformant ECU already available but whether this is fully EU3 compatible I dont know, you'll need to ask him. I canvassed a while back for a donor VVC based car for Karl to use as a VVC guinea pig for their VVC development, AFAIK they have a volunteer and will be progressing the VVC development 'shortly'.

Oily

here is what Steve did to fix my shift lights and speedo, makes no sense to me but it know works

"we put a resistor was 1K, 1/4 Watt, and it went between the +v (red of the ecu light system) and the revcounter_out (from the ECU) which was green- The problem was that both your rev counter and the shift light had pull-down resistors on their inputs, and the output stage of the ECU was open-collector, with what appeared to be a 4K7 or so pull-up. This pullup was being overwhelmed by the pulldowns on the counter & shift light, and no-one ever saw a 'proper' pulse. With the extra pull-up, the ECU 'won', and was able to put out a good pulse train that both the counter and shift light were happy with. It's not clear why the ECU was so gutless - although I guess they were never expecting to have to drive anything other than the standard Rover rev-counter (which may have had a pull-up internally, I guess). ANyway, the extra pullup is unlikely to ever cause a problem - the current is still pretty tiny."

Amosian

No, all 1.4 engines were quite old even before they found their way into a Se7en. Rumour has it that Caterham bought a job lot of 1.4 run-out engines back in 1992/3 which lasted until the last 1.4 left the factory (as a special edition!). The shift light may not work because the LED has failed/loose connection etc. My VDO tacho also has the wobblies around 5000 rpm etc. Probably knackered tacho!

Robmar

What a mouthful. From my recollection the original S/S shift light was driven by re-programming the A/C circuit as it was thought this would be redundent in a Se7en!! Article in LF some years ago. Maybe the new ECU from the EU3 will be as unfriendly as its predecessor???!!!

Mick

My apologies to caterham. I phoned James Gibson yesterday, as he is in charge of supplying the new tacographs and wiring loom for the shift light. Apparently they are supplying us with new rev counters and small loom etc. They also are supplying it in various colours, depending on which colour of gauge you have.

Very impressed with this service!

eu3 are the emissions parameters that k-series from autumn 200 conform to (I don't know the exact build date on - I think the engine no should read 1.6K54****** - ie. 1.6 k series with 54 denoting eu3 speck). Meeting these emission levels is putting increasing pressure on weakening the fuel mixture at lower rev/idle were the Co2. measurement is recorded. This is why in the motor trade we are finding the very latest cars that are driven slowly at low revs, in high gears are the ones that have engine management problems - no problems for Caterhams though in this area. These engines in the latest Rovers now run pre and post lambda sensors to govern the emissions.

I have got my hands on a 200 mile 1.6K EU3 for which I have had to rewire the Rover engine bay loom to adapt to the Cat7 chassis loom. On first reflection this was daunting as there are quite a few Rover ecu functions that cat doens't run ie. wheel speed sensor, post lambda plus wiring in the mfu and connections to the chassis loom plug. In the end I hope I have cracked it - engine still to be cranked yet. (I have documented a wiring diagram with the help of caterham - if everything goes fine and someone needs this I am sure I can help out) but not until the engine is running!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just recieved my new rev counter and loom. I have asked Caterham how to fit the loom but have had no response. Does anyone know how I fit it. I am a little concerned as two of the leads seem to fit into the EU3 and I am unsure what would happen it I slotted them into the wrong holes.

Thanks

Rupe