Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What's the best way to remove airlocks in the cooling system?

Tim Broyd

I'm currently building a 1.8VVC Roadsport. Build's going pretty well, and I got the engine fired up over the weekend. BUT - I've got a problem with the coolant system. The top hoses and top of the radiator get hot, but all else remains stubbornly cold - as a result the temperature gauge rockets up, the cooling fan doesn't cut in, etc.

Can anyone tell me how best to get rid of the air?

Thanks

Tim B

Thanks to all who've posted a reply. Due to work commitments I'm very much a 'weekend builder', but you've given me lots of tips to work on.

By the way, when I filled the system I had to fill the radiator via the bleed valve - filling the expansion tank merely resulted in the expansion tank overflowing without much coolant getting into the system. Is this normal? *confused*

Follow my link.

You have to plan to fill both sides of the thermostat - engine side and rad side.

If you fill from the expansion tank... it is a long way round to the engine.

If you fill from the expansion tank... you have to get rid of the airlocks from the bottom rad hose/J hose/submarine pipe... by flexing it a lot. You will get lots of glugging and then the rad will fill.

This is still a lousy way of getting coolant into the engine though.

I recently replaced my K radiator and used this method. Fill through the expansion bottle with the top plug removed from the rad until it is apparently full. Replace plug and expansion bottle cap. Disconnect the upper hose from the heater and fill the tube using a funnel with the heator valve open until fluid spews forth. Quickly reconnect the hose. I did this with the engine running and warm and have not had a problem since. It seemed to work for me. A quick hose down to remove collant from the car and driveway and BYU.

I've always drilled a small hole approx 2mmD in the thermostat, this cures the problem of getting an airlock in the J pipe. I then fill the system in the usual way and disconnect the top heater hose and attach an L shaped pipe to this and fill it thus making sure the heater matrix is full. I then reconnect the original pipe (fill this right up) and start the engine and leave it for a couple of minutes. I then loosen the top heater hose and allow any air to escape, in reality there is very little if any.

I've used this method on numerous ocassions and have never had any problems with airlocks.

Phil S7SVN

Many thanks to all who've offered help on this one, but especially to Peter Carmichael. I followed the advice, and you're absolutely right Peter - lots of glugging but a lousy way to have to get the coolant system working. But - I now have the 1.8VVC idling at around 1000rpm and keeping to a temperature of around 85deg. I took it out for a run too - all of 50 yards - but enough to check that at least first, second and reverse gears work OK. All that remains is the front wings and lights and interior trim. We're getting there...... *wink*

Tim B