Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

X/flow alternator (antique version ). Repair or replace

Drumster

For the past few months my 'alternator light' has been dimly glowing and at Brands last week it decided it was going to glow brightly all day ☹️...so time for a new alternator, I guess.

Having confirmed that it was the alternator by fitting one from an off-the-road x/flow my next decision is should I:

(a) get this one reconditioned?,

(b) buy a remanufactured one? or,

© just buy a new one?

What does the informed world of blatchat think?

Having read numerous posts from other x/flow owners who say that they go through alternators like they are going out of fashion, you'll be surprised to learn that I haven't yet changed the alternator since I bought the 7. That was in 1999 and 34,000 miles ago! Goodness knows how old it actually is

The only 'sticker' or plate on the alternator has all but lost it's markings over time and I can just about make out that it is/was a Valeo (?) and Made in France.

You help, as ever, would be much appreciated.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here New, improved version!

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

If it's an 15,17,19,23 etc ACR then there should be loads of em going for a song. I gave 3 to Jingers (not jingars) some time ago..

11 ACs could be a bit thinner on the ground.

OOPS, shot from the hip there. I jumped to the conclusion that it was Lucas. Guess it's not that old.

Edited by - susser on 9 Oct 2005 19:55:53

I had a Valeo repaired a few years ago for about £30 - for this you get someone who knows what they are doing and gives a damn rather than some factory worker who doesn't.

Look in Yellow Pages and get the existing unit tested. the repair could be cheaper than any other alternative.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!