Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drilling Holes in Rollbars

Big Brother

First of all... Yes, I know it will weaken it!

Before I get flamed, this is just a general question.

By how much (in % terms) will drilling a single 2mm hole into the diagonal part of an FIA roll bar weaken the bar overall?

(the hole would be round and therefore will not introduce any obvious stress points)

Just interested *smile*

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Incorporating the Caterham Links Database

I did the calculations and came up with an answer of a reduction in bending strength of the bar of 0.0273%, in compression 0.0182%, tensile strength 0.0302% and shear strength in the region near the hole 1.257%

HTH

Fatalism means never having to wonder if it's safe to overtake *eek*

Thanks all for sharing your knowledge so generously 😬

I am thinking of fitting a high level brakelight to the 7.

The unit itself would be bonded to the bar but I would like to run the wiring through the inside of the rollbar.

(just like they do in American Chopper - que the string of chopper jokes from Tony *wink*)

The wiring needed would be of a very small diameter so I would only need a small hole.

To be honest I can't see a 2-3mm hole would make a huge difference to the integrity and strength of an FIA roll bar, especially as it would be drilled into the diagonal bar.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Hmmmm, just spotted the fatal flaw in my plan.......the diagonal bar is welded into the middle of the hoop section- with no way of getting any wiring down to the boot.

Bu99er!

Plan B, I guess will to stick the wiring onto the outside of the bar and have it looking like a dogs breakfast *mad*

Plan C, Would be to drill a hole in the top hoop - probably not a good idea ☹️

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Steve, You could run it down some rollbar padding like I do. It depends if you think it looks a dogs breakfast or not I guess *wink*

My first 7 was done with a hole in the top of the hoop. The wire ran down and out at the base. It worked with the non FIA bar of the time. Never tested the strength of the bar...

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 9 Oct 2005 12:29:59

I 'glued' the wire for mine underneath the diagonal with black silicone - works a treat and is not obvious unless you are REALLY short 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Steve,

I pondered the same question when I fitted a high level brake light. Although I considered drilling a small hole in the same place as you, I discovered that on my rollbar the tube is 'closed' where it fits in the boot IYSWIM. I decided it was too much faffing around and ended up just taping the wire to the underside of the diagonal bar with colour coded tape. Not the perfect solution but it doesn't look too bad either.

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint here New, improved version!

Drive it like you stole it! *eek*

That was my idea, I was planning to get the wire out via the flat plate the bar mounts to (its a LA bar)

Getting the wire through shouldn't be a problem for me (I've had lots of practice *wink*)

Just need to find a suitable light.

I really like the racing type LED clusters. (as used on single seaters)

I know Maplin sell them but I don't think they are "e" marked for use on cars.

Saying that, they are very bright so would be pretty effective.

I guess a few resistors would do the trick if it turned out to be too bright.

Steve

SE7EN-UP!

Steve - they would be too bright out of the box - at least as bright as a rear foglight I'd expect.

I'm not well-known for cosmetic solutions - I make a bit of an effort, but direct most of my time into getting things to work in the first place. I just zip-tied the wire to the underside of the top-tube and to the forward-facing bit of the support that ends by the fuel-filler. The zip-ties are a bit conspicuous for polishers' cars though... *smile*

I like the idea of the black silicone... *smile*

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

"The zip-ties are a bit conspicuous for polishers' cars though"

From your comment I take it you've never seen my car 😬

The black silicone does sound like a very good solution though.

Tony, do you know if its possible to buy it in small quantities?

Steve

SE7EN-UP!