Click here if you are having website access problems ×

240 BHP VX - Whats the Torque likely to be?

finmac

I assume that you've considered and rejected the obvious solution........................

Phone QED and ask them *eek*

If you can ID the engine they may even be able to give you its dyno figures and then you'll know for definite.

The boys in Quorn quote around 175 lb/ft @ 6,500 and 235+ @ 7,300 for this sort of engine BUT they do tend to be conservative in their promises.

The last engine that they did for me (1800 K) was promised to deliver around 210bhp and 140 + lb/ft peak torque with a broad spread. What they delivered was 229bhp @ 8,500 with 156lb/ft peak torque @ 6000 a very flat torque curve that goes through 130lb/ft (std R300 peak) at 3,800 and stays above that level right up to 9,000 😬 WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

The word 'dog' never bit anybody...........

Matthew, As you well know I am restricted in referring to any issues which may have ocurred as a result of my being a client of QED by an NDA which accompanied an out of court settlement. As my advisor, I'm not so sure you were party to said NDA were you?

Referring to Mr Culmers experiences, if you got a map from QED which allowed the engine to start, let alone run, you did well.

QED are of course experts in the VX engine. I know, I read it off one of thier adverts.

175lbft and 235+ @ 7300 do not stack up according to the calculation that Oily has given us, but Oily's calc only works when the peak power rpm are known. If the engine power is still climbing at 7300rpm then those numbers are possible. The minimum revs at which the engine could show a peak power of only 235bhp would be ~7800rpm. Strength/reliability constraints might discourage QED from advertising the latent performance at the top end.

Alex, how can your old engine be 240bhp, when mine was (and still is of course) only 200? 😬

Oilys calc is in my opinion flawed. But he'll say the same of my power plots. 😳

Edited by - EFA on 11 Oct 2005 20:21:49