Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Hot Solenoid

Julian Bradley

I am going to repair or replace the solenoid I have for my 1700 X flow (re threads passim) - I'm not proud, but I'm finding being push-started half the time humiliating & the ominious clicking noise v. stressful!

Does anyone have any ideas for protecting them from exhaust heat? Heat reflecting material anywhere? Any decent blast (at circa 10 mpg, but

who's counting?) necessitates a visit to the garage. Hot solenoid = no start for a while, if at all.

Some time ago, I bought some insulating exhaust wrap from Demon Tweeks. I got it for another car, but never fitted it. I am now thinking of using it around the manifold, just where it comes horribly close to the alternator and starter motor/solenoid.

My only concern is heat distortion. I know there was some discussion some time ago about this sort of wrap, but I am worried that by causing localised 'hot spots', I might get warping of the manifold.

James

Edited by - James Arnold on 3 Dec 2001 13:29:49

I was hoping there might be some kind of attachable sleeve or shield for the manifold to protect that solenoid/SM/alternator area....but if you do use your tape, let me know how it goes. I'll ask the guys at Ratrace on Saturday - they have been know to run engines hot from time to time.