Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Thermostats on racecars

andy oliver

Andy - it is common to run race cars without stats - one less thing to go wrong for a start, and under race conditions you'll be generating more heat anyway.

You don't mention what engine you have - Mick's advice is appropriate for a k-series. I used to run the 82 degC stat on a std. 1.6k (the standard is 88) and it was happy enough. I currently run a 74 in a 180+bhp 1.8 - and that keeps the temps very stable and in a narrower band (with a decent fan/rad).

FWIW, I found the Halfrauds stat 'impossible' to fit in the plastic stat housing - the sealing ring was slightly too-large. I reused the previous rubber seal instead...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Official Caterham race series roadsports B and above mandate stat removal. IIRC K series runs with very low volume water jacket and hence stat failure (fails closed) causes very rapid overheat with consequent fluids blowing all over the track leading to interesting handling characteristics.

My no-stat race car ar runs way too cool on the road - nevers warms up unless you cane it - and fine on the track. My stat is replaced with an ally disc with a 12mm-ish hole in it to make sure that the block is well pressurised - water pressure from the pump is apparently a key element in extracting heat from the block, making sure that localised heating esp round the exhaust vale area doesn't lead to boiling/ air pocket formation.

For a road and some track use car I'd fit a stat every time, also for a sprint car. You only get warmth into the engine at sustained high revs, and without a stat your oil will be too cool most of the time.

Martin

Roadsports B

If everything's under control you're going too slow (Emmerson Fittipaldi)

Or your pants are too tight.(DB)

Hi,

I have recently aquired a 1700 X Flow which used to be a race car and has no thermostat; it never seems to get up to temperature. I am intending to fit a stat and had planned to use the std part (if there is such a thing).

Anyone know of any problems?

Nick

Nick in the (1987) 1700 X Flow...