Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Performance Upgrades for 1.6 K Series

PaulJeffries

I bet this has been asked many a time!

I have a 1.6 Roadsport and now have that bug that we all have - I need more power.

The car pulls well upto about 80mph, then it just creeps upto 100 I know this is probabaly sue to Aerodynamics - does anyone know how to improve this - Can you put smaller lights on?

Are there any easy upgrades for the 1.6, does the 52mm alloy throttle body do anything?, Cool air ducting to airfilter? Any other suggestions.

Just using 95RON unleaded at the moment does 98RON improve things or is the ECU fixed and doesnt make any difference?

• Support Team

Best way to improve aerodynamics is to remove the windscreen and fit an aeroscreen. You can buy smaller lights (try SVC for 5 3/4" headlights) but that won't make much difference.

For the engine upgrade bible look at DVA Power although of course Caterham provide upgrades (Supersport - 135bhp, Supersport R - 160bhp).

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 3 Oct 2005 10:06:26

SS Ecu and cams makes a good difference. Alternatively a number of Blatchatters have used a Piper 633 cam grind and a secondhand SS Ecu as a lower cost option to achieve the same end.

Basically, it fills in the missing bit from around 4000rpm-7600rpm where the standard engine goes a bit flat.

Good location by the way *thumbup*

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Alternatively - fit the 5spd axle ratio and use a 6spd box . . . at any speed up to about 100 it will just take off on flooring the throttle . . . ask any number of tailgating BMW, Porsche, Impreza, motorbikes on various motorways in France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland (and why do I have to pay a full years motorway toll to use their motorways for a day - and they don't when they come here?) and Italy.

All done at 110/115 ish tho.

Bri

Paul,

local meets at Longden nr Rugely (Mid Staffs area) and Wybunbry nr Nantwich (Ches/Staffs area). Both are pretty well attended. There are plenty of locals once you start looking. *cool*

A number of us have also been known to venture into the Peak District for an early Sunday Blat+butty.

If you feel the need to SS your car you will need to know whether the engine is Eu2 or Eu3.

Drop me a mail off line if you want to call round.

Bri,

you are just a traffic light Grand Prix tart aren't you 😬 How are the blue illuminated washers doing *tongue*

Ian

Edited by - Mr Locust on 3 Oct 2005 11:07:45

Easiest way to spot is EU2;one big plug on the ecu and you can see the plug leads/distributor. EU3; big curved plastic cover over 2/3 of the engine top, no distributor and 2 plugs on the ECU - 1 large, 1 small.

I would have thought yours would be EU2.

Ian

Slight hijack...

I'm currently looking at the 633 cams + verniers route (got 'em, need to fit 'em).

I was very curious as to whether fitting a second hand 1.6 K (EU3) Supersport ECU

would be "OK" with the 633 cams - or whether it really had to be matched with

original "Supersport" cams (and so I'd have to save up for an Emerald ECU...).

Are 633's and Supersports near enough the same?

Also, I read stories of "friendly rover dealers" upgrading standard MEMs ECUs to a

Supersport map for ~£15. Is this still true? Where?!

Cheers

AB

Good pics from Harewood Richard. Pictures 23-28 are more discrete than the Aintree "off" ones as you are disappearing from view but the shower of stones give it away. 😬

Paul

if your car is EU2 Shaun's kit sounds ideal *thumbup*

Ian

• Support Team

One of Paul's questions to me was is it a head off job to replace the cams and I realise I don't know the answer. Obviously I have the head off but is this necessary to swap cams?

Yellow SL *cool* #32

No. Just remove the cam ladder. Took me a couple of hours on Oily's drive having never even looked at the job before. Probably a good idea to get new cam seals and definitely need a squirt of the Loctite anaerobic sealant stuff to reassemble.

Ian

Edited by - Mr Locust on 3 Oct 2005 16:29:58

"traffic light tart" - nah!

Stevio hairpin big-bike upsetter - yes!

You can out-corner them and initially get the drop - and then the braking zone for a bike is too early for the next hairpin for them to be able to stay with you, never mind get past - after a few of them you are whole straight bits in-front (apart from the loony on the super-moto . . .). And there is something about sliding the rear around those bends, tyres howling . . .

Of course, as soon as you catch the next coach / Honda Goldwing (seem to take up about the same amount of road when you try to get past) they are straight past as they fit through the gap.

I will get round sometime to fitting my performance bits . . . maybe . .

Bri