Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removing diff housing from Ford axle

Sam Monoogian

I was attempting to do the above so that I could put some silicon sealant on but was unable to figure out a way to remove the nut on the driven flange plate (what's the correct name for this?).

As the axle is out of the car when trying to undo the nut the axle rotates. What's the best/accepted way to do this?

Sam,

Not entirely sure what you are trying to do, but be careful, On an English axle the nut on the drive flange has to be re tightned accurately to original position.

If you want to remove the dif i.e to silicon seal and oil leak you need to with draw the half shafts (slide hammer) and undo all the little nuts round the eedge and draw the dif out forwards - possibly easier removing the whole axle, or a frame and rotating it.

If the leak is from the dif flange you need to replace the seal - but mark the position of the nut first for correct reassembly.

regards,

allen

You need an open ended c spanner type tool (tech term!) which has two lugs on it. I got one with an angle grinder that allows you to change the wheel.....Place one lug in a bolt hole, the other against the edge of the flange, and it should prevent the flange from moving. Be careful though, they slip...........