Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

New Car - Running In

c7jhc

*biggrin* *biggrin* *biggrin*Picked up my post SVA newly registered Roadsport 140 from Dartford on Saturday morning and the first drive was great - worth the 20 year wait (from first seeing a Caterham to driving my own)!! When I collected it no one mentioned any running in period but I seem to recall reading that there is a recommended rev limit for the first so many miles. Am I correct?

IME with a new engine, you drive it over to Emerald (250ish miles), have it caned on the rollers and then drive it with gusto on the way home. *smile*

To be fair, the engine was assembled from (mostly) used components.

Johnty Lyons is (IIRC) firmly in the thrash-it-from-new camp which is not something I'm comfortable with.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I always use a mineral based oil to run gently for 10 miles, then take it to 3/4 max RPM a few (say 50 times) over the next 10. Then up to the redline over a 2 or 3 mile run. Go home, change the oil to 15/50 and consider the running in process complete.

The single biggest limitation to this process for people in our situation is however: Having the correct map to allow high revs in terms of fueling at wide throttle openings - the last thing you want is detonation!

In the event of not having a correct map, do not use over 50% throttle until the ECU has been calibrated.

Edited by - EFA on 3 Oct 2005 10:42:09