Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

R400 thermostat operating temp

DSL

I seem to still be having a radiator problem after installing replacement rad a couple of months ago.

Coolant level remains constant in expansion tank.

The car runs great when airflows through rad, but if stationary for a few mins temp goes to 82-84 & fan does not operate consistantly. The temp does not rise above 84 even if left idling for an age & fan does not often cut in. (fan does work fine if fed direct power) If you then give it the berries the engine has dropped down onto low power mode, untill airflow drops temp again & normality is resumed.

Have twice bleed system including raising the front of car right up.

Any suggestions please.

• Support Team

Could the ECU temperature sensor be faulty? The temperatures you describe sound normal and the standard fan switch is set somewhere north of 90 degrees so the operation of the fan sounds OK.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

As I understand it - I am no expert - the ECU will fuel the engine to held cool it/reduce power when it detects the temperature is too high. On the standard set up this occurs before the fan cuts in due to the fixed setting of the parts bin thermostat. The engine thermostat operates at a third temperature.

I would talk to Minister to see if they can offer advice. They modified mine by connecting the fan to the ECU and fitting a low temperature thermostat. It now runs perfectly on track days but a little cool on the road, and in winter I blank off part of the radiator.