Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Strange noise from K Series SS

Delberts Wallet

I've just modified my K series to Supersport status and took it for it first test drive today. The first thing I noticed was when, with the loud pedal flat to the floor (say in second gear) and the revs just passing through 3000 rpm there seems to be a knocking sound coming from the engine(?). I'm not too sure if it is normal or not and seeing as I did the job myself I am a little paranoid.

I know this is a little hard to understand and descibe but any Ideas would be useful.

Cheers

Gareth

Who Dares Twins smile.gifsmile.gif

If it's like a marble in a baked bean tin and only happens when you're accelerating through this rev band, and is worse when going uphill, it's pinking/knocking. Your engine is running lean in this rev band and the noise is called by the the petrol igniting too early, causing it to "hit" the piston on the upstroke. I'm sure there are many here who know better than me but you could try running it on optimax and see if it's better. If it is, then I suspect that it is pinking. In my case, this was caused by inadequate fuel pressure. Other causes are inadequate octane petrol or a mapping problem. Whilst a bit of pinking in the short term isn't a problem, it is important to get it fixed asap as it may shorten your engine life.

Alex

Gareth.

I assume the SS spec is the Std. Caterham type issue with the new cams and the uprated Rover MEMS box (re programmed for the 7,400 rpm shift light) etc, yes ?

If this is the case, the Caterham owners manual for my old 1400 SS (133 BHP on Dave Walkers rolling road) says to use 98 octane super unleaded for this engine fitted with a catalyst.

I used to use 95 octane OK (I don't have a catalyst) as the garages around here often were out of the S. U/L, but it didn't seem to make much difference.

Could be worth a first try?

They all do that sir.

Induction hammer. With a more aggressive cam, the inlet valves open with a distinct pressure already established in the cylinder this causes a pressure wave of notable volume to hammer its way up the inlet tract. Whether it is a positive or a negative pressure depends on the cam specs and the point in the rev range. All Supersports do this.

Gareth

I have, sitting in my garage (North Worcestershire) the complete inlet manifold system including air filter from a 1600k SS. It is minus th IACV which I threw far into the Worcester canal some 2 years ago.

When I took it off I noticed the amount of plastic moulding flash that was in the air flow path and cut a lot of it out.

You can have it FOC if it helps

If you want it just work out a means of collection

The noise is normal and I must say that it spooked me when I first drove my 1600SS I thought I had a big end going. Using Super UL fuel won`t make any difference as its an induction resonace and not pinking, you will find that the car will perform better if you keep the revs above the 3000-3500 rpm when it should be sweet.