Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle Jacking?

cskip

Where exactly is the best place to jack the back of the car? Is it the A Frame joint at the centre/back? If it is any suggestions on how to raise the car approx 1 inch so that a trolley jeck can get under it!

Also should axle stands be placed as far apart as possible? Or is there a best place for them to be?

Sorry about the basic questions! I don't have a manual! This has probably been covered numerous times before, but I can find an answer in the archives.

Clive.

Crossflow - Loud and Proud!

Clive

Must be getting ready for the winter upgrades, I have already got the car up on stands ready to make the changes.

To raise the car initially drive on to a couple of planks this gives the extra height. I jacked up using the A frame point (suggested in the manual) and placed the axle stands at the corners of the rear frame, where cross bar meets two side members. There a coulpe of brackets which I made sure were not under pressure from the stands when lowering the car onto the stands.

Hope this helps.

I did find it was easier to raise the front and place on stands before starting on the back, as couldn't get the jack under the front of the car with the back raised.

Jason

According to the books, you're supposed to use the chassis side member at the point where the various links meet, just at the front of the rear wing. I have heard in Low Flying (in an article about the live axle by renowned axle person Graham Sykes) that you are not supposed to use the a-frame bracket.

However, I always use the a-frame bracket because it is convenient and also because I saw James Whiting use it to jack my car up once. Probably best to use some kind of pad (e.g a small square of wood) on the jack's cup to spread the load.

To raise the car enough to get the jack under, I made a pair of ramps out of scrap wood. A base plate of thing plywood, then three small pieces of scrap of increasing thickness, nailed onto the plywood. It's easy to slip these behind the wheels and push the car onto them by hand and this gives enough clearance.

I put the axle stands under the axle. They're probably about a quarter of the way in. I don't know if this is approved or not. I should imagine is widely spaced as possible, so they are nearer the dampers so they won't put so much bending force on the axle, but you're limited for space.