Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Popping and crackling !

James Saunders

How would you make a 1.6 Kseries Supersport pop and crackle on overun ? Just followed a TVR Cerbera and every time it slowed for a roundabout it popped and banged a treat! Would fitting a competition exhaust help ? or is the ecu that would need programming to add more fuel etc ?

Cheers

James

'K' All the way thumbsup.gif Well until now .... smile.gif

I think you'll find that it's been mapped not to do it. It's usually caused by petrol fumes reaching your hot exhaust and going bang there. If you make your engine run rich on overrun by deliberately mismapping it, you could create the same effect.

It's somthing I can create on throttle bodies by closing off all the idle bypass valves, but it probably isn't a good idea.

Alex

Most modern management systems have a fuel shut off on overrun, this prevents unburnt hydrocarbons from popping in the exhaust. Some ECUs have this as a programmable option so that you can turn on the overrun popping and crackling, although why you would want it is a mystery.

Oilysnad

It's obviously a M*x P*wer thing, the guy's obviously a poser smile.gif. Mind you I do like the way my car 'burbles' on the overrun, since Rave talker mapped the Emerald. Maybe wr need a switchable map so that you could turn "Flames on Overrun" on and off teeth.gif

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

My car has this feature permanently enabled. Great fun for waking up small villages late at night by a combination of my exhaust and their car alarms which seem rather easily triggered....

Downside is fake gatso syndrome, where you get two backfires about 1/2 second apart followed by frantic seaching for the grey box in my rear view mirror.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

My motorbike does it and I spend my time going through

villages accelerating a bit to 5000rpm and lifting off as I pass

old ladies teeth.gif.. I just thought it would be nice on the Seven too as I remember once being in an R500 that popped on lift off and gear changes .. basically any time the clutch was pressed or lifting off the throttle created a bundle of pops, burbles, crackles, bangs cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif

James

'K' All the way thumbsup.gif Well until now .... smile.gif

Jimmy

Maybe you should read the Caterham handbook. Ze poppun unt bangen equals dead catalytic converters that's why there are over-run controls in the ECM.

Having said that the air leak theory is the one to go for, just slip-joint your muffler to downpipe junction - as I am sure your motorcyle is.

Steve B

when I went to Bedford Autdrome last week, there was a sierra cossie turbo, the original kind, hatchback with huge whale tail. every time it changed gear a huge sheet of flame shot out the side exit exhaust! That was ok until I was going by on the straight and yep, you guessed it, gear change! That was a scary moment! No damage tho.

I'm with you AndyK.

To me Carbs are the essence of the vehicle. A couple of times this past year I've nearly gone over to TB's but why 'chase the brake' when, with carbs, sometimes you can effect mods on the move, it's mechanicalthumbsup.gif (the more electrics I get the more nervous I become) and IMHO the induction sounds better.

REAL cars have Ca..rb...s (sorry, I coughed and spluttered a bit there!)biggrin.gif

Alex.

My 'real' initials are CC !!

Have to say that D2H TB's can be a lot louder than carbs.

I saw a good friend today who has a 1600 x/flow Sprint.Haven't seen him or the car for a while now. As usually happens though, we drifted into the garage and he pulled the car out, fired it up and got it good 'n' warm. When I was running my 'K' in std. 1400 SS form his car used to seem so noisy on the induction etc. I now can hardly hear it. My whole perception has changed (or maybe my hearing)!!!

Chris Clark