Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Acceleration and power vs torque vs "punch in the kidneys"

SimonMac

As an end user it never amazes me when you hit a wet spot, and a cultivation tool digs in, just how low the revs will drop and yet the machine will pull through and get going again *thumbup* *thumbup*

Particularly remember driving my cousins Versatile in Canada with a 60ft cultivator and hitting some peaty land. Wow, what grunt - Cummins V8 *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of being an ignoramus, why can't a 1.4 K series developing 100bhp develop as much torque as the 4.0 diesel engine. The rpm can be stepped down from the flywheel before entering the gear box and can thus be attached to the same agricultural clutch. The step down process will also flatten the torque curve.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*

Rob,

Irrespective of which units you use, power is a function of torque x rpm.

A typical 4.4l turbocharged, non-chargecooled engine spec would be in the order of 90-100hp rated at 2300rpm.

If your K were making the same power at 6900rpm, your K would only have to make 1/3 the torque as it is at 3x the engine rpm.

Nifty,

got a squirt up the road in the new 300hp Cummins Fastrac the other day *thumbup*

The benefits of a touch screen gear selector and joystick control of the transmission are not as immediately apparent when you are roading the machine unladen as I'm sure they are when dragging a dirty great plough *confused*

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Edited by - Mr Locust on 5 Oct 2005 16:52:11