Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre softeners ?

Tight fart

Well I never had time to use the softner but tried the slicks anyway *mad*

After the 1st practice run I was fastest by 2 full seconds, that was the best it got.

After the 2nd timed run I was 2nd overall, I then missed a gear on the 3rd timed run

but still held second by .4 sec so for the last run I put the slicks on, bit of a mistake

we all know what it's like first lap out on cold slicks, I had no way of warming them up

before the run. They span off the line through 1st 2nd and into 3rd, I let them spin

hoping it would warm the rears up a bit. By half way round they started to work a bit

but the sprint is about the same as a lap at snetterton (FTD 1.13.3).

I ended up 1.1 sec slower than I had done on the 48s. Worse was to come as the other

Westy (250bhp and ACB10s) had taken another .9sec off his time and beaten me by 0.2sec

to drop me to 3rd overall. *mad*

So next year sprint compound ACB10 are a must.

A7 RDP

pics here

Rule one of racing:

Don't change tactics during an event unless absolutely necessary. Runs are there to build up on what you've started.

Build on your experience now that you know your opponent a bit better and plan your racing so you don't have much thinking to do on the day.

The fact that you had no warm up should have put you off slicks unless you'd really wanted to try them and then maybe it would have been a good idea to try them off first and dismiss them immediately.

Also be wary of measuring opponents through practice runs. Some people deliberately underperform to shock!

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Vx 1.6

my updated site here

So same position as last time TF?

I hear from my work collegue (who came 3rd in class 1) that the R500 wasn't too quick?

Ian in one of the Westy's has an identical spec engine to mine and beat me by several seconds, no he's been there before and might well be a better driver, but I came to the conclusion that his sprint compound? ACB10s probably gave him a considerable advantage (made me feel better about coming 5th 😳)

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here