Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tyre softeners ?

Tight fart

Are they any good?

I have a sprint on sunday and need to beat a rather fast westy, he is using ACB10s and I am on 48s that squeeled there way around Brands monday like old NCTs ☹️

Now in the garage are some old worn 9" and 7" slicks from my old race SLR.

I only want to do 1, maybe 2 runs on them,(1 mile at most) I am not allowed to warm them up or try to get any heat in them before the start. So will some tyre softener help *cool*

I have a small tin arriving tomorrow so it will only have 48 hours to work ☹️

A7 RDP

pics here

No class C regs state :-No restrictions on Engine, Transmission, Brakes, Suspension, Springs, Shock Absorbers or Tyres.

The regs also state :- Practising and tyre warming : The warming-up or practising of competing cars outside the designated course area is strictly forbidden and may result in the competitor being excluded from the meeting forthwith. There are no designated practice start or tyre warming areas at this venue.

that will cause me a problem with old slicks.

Thanks for the offer Rob. *thumbup* But I think I'll try the slicks, with or without if it's illegal ☹️

A7 RDP

pics here

Edited by - Tight fart on 30 Sep 2005 09:53:16

Hiya, just had the "quick westie" owner on the phone declaring all 7 owners cheats......he's obviously scanning his competition !!

No doubt he'll be scanning tyres with a temp gauge on sunday as well 😬

See you there, i'll be in the black R500 with a very nervous looking driver *eek*. I'll pop over and say hello ! if i haven't spun through one of the boundary fences by then....

J

So he thinks I'm a cheat for pointing out that tyre-softeners are illegal? What a tw*t. I suppose if I were to stoop to his level then I'd say "All Westie owners are tw*ts" just because one of them might be, but fortunately I'm a bit brighter than that!

Or maybe J has used a bit of journalistic licence 😬

Mike

Do people always feel the need to bring words like "tw4t" or simular into play when a bit of friendly banter is being dished out. ☹️

As for the superior car comment ! There's not many 7 owners who'd want to be up against the two westies in attendance on Sunday.

Keep it friendly and fun.

J

Weeeeeell, it seems that some of the top hillclimb boys use or have used and/or experimented with it and that it ain't specifically disallowed. So, unless anyone can find any reference to it in the Blue Book, it would seem to be allowed unless specifically banned by the event regulations. So I'll go and have a helping of hat pie. I'll save a slice for Dave, unless he can substantiate his claim *smile*

Mike

put the pie in the fridge Mike ......... I do recall it somewhere in blue book, or was that for karts ??? *confused* . There was a bit of a stink when a certain leading midland speed chap in 2a was said to use it . His tyres did look rather shredded after each run - it was even said he had a bath in his garage for soaking the tyres and rims during the week prior to an event *tongue*

Serious question : I wonder if it does actually work ?????

After all this, it's bound to rain.

MikeE are you going sunday?

Mike Bees, I think that softener would 8u66er your tyres after 1 use.

Manxseven, IF I thought I could light 9" slicks up and stop within 6 feet I might give it a go !!!

Jason you'd better kick their a55es in the west fields with a R500.

I've decided that if it's dry, to do 3 runs on the 48s (does anyone else think they are cr4p?)

and then 1 on the old slicks if I have i have nothing to lose *tongue*

This is a must series for next year to find the fastest 7, open regs in class C.

A7 RDP

pics here

If you need to use tyre softener then you are on a low budget.

A tyre softner user will always be beaten by the guy who has fresh tyres of the right compound.

In most forms of motorsport most money = faster than the rest.

If you are trying to trick some grip out of a control tyre then it should be an illegal practise.

Hants (north) / Berkshire club here

Area meeting pics here

My Racing here

Edited by - stevefoster on 30 Sep 2005 20:52:39

tyre softener may be illegal at an event however nobodys going to ban you if you want to use it before the event. 😬 It will look at a scrubbed tyre anyway.

I would also put common bleach on your shopping list. Works a treat. *thumbup*

Don't forget a proper burnout before the start. Some tyres can change character completely between cold warm and the right operating temperature.

Good luck!

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

my NEW site here

Not trying to cheat, I just wondered if I could get one mile of use out of the old set of race slicks that are overdue for the skip. The rubber now resembles bakerlite. As I said before practice starts and tyre warming are banned. (and the westys are using ACB10s)

A7 RDP

pics here

Grip juice works 100 percent.

I'm sticking a link to our dragracing site photos page. There a few hundred photos for your enjoyment. You will notice the track on the dragraceway is very dark. Before every event a tankful application of grip juice is applied to the track. The drivers are also allowed a proper burnout after the grip juice bath (not sure if they call it so though *biggrin*)

If you want to pursue this objectively go to the results page and compare the timings in Malta with those at Santa pod and you will notice they compare favourably or better when comparing similar engines or setups.

Why am I saying this, because all of Maltese roads have a covering of construction dust and Grip Juice applications have decresed timings significantly since it has been applied.

have good look here

and pursue the timings page if you wish.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

my NEW site here