Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

2ltr Vx Oil leak frustration

Mim

I have oil seeping out where the bell housing meets the sump. (Caterham dry sump system)Despite having the engine out and replacing the rear crank oil seal is still no better - Any suggestions? (preferably without having to remove the engine!!)

I had this problem. the first time it occured it was just the sump not sealing correctly on the block but at the back where it meets the bellhousing. Re-sealing the sump (about 1hr) with the black GM sealant cured the problem.

Then.... I started to get another leak which I thought was the same thing again until futher investigation showed the oil to be coming out of the small hole in the bottom of the bellhousing & the joint between sump and bellhousing. Engine and box out revealed it was clutch fluid from the slave. A common problem where the seals in the clutch slave give up and it starts to leak.

Hope this helps...If I can help further just mail me.

If it's only a little bit, you can ignore it and treat it as a chassis anti rust system. If it's leaking from the block to sump interface, it probably only leaks when the car is stationary. If it's too much to ignore, did you reseal the sump when you changed the oil seal? Get some OE GM black silicone sealant, remove and any old sealant and reseal. There shouldn't be a gasket here although I have been tempted to try one one day as my car leaks from here too.

Alex

Thanks guys. Alex - I did reseal the sump with the black OE GM sealant when the engine went back in as that was also weeping. That now looks to be oil tight. However the original leak persists. It happens when car is running but appears to get worse when stationary - 6 inch puddle on the tiled garage floor! - or someone elses drivewayis too much to ignore!

Captain Chaos - It also is dripping from the bellhousing drain hole - but I am pretty certain it is engine oil not clutch fluid.

My next plan is to remove sump and reseal the main cap (No.5)bearing. Apparently its a bit of a b***er to keep the sealant in the grooves when putting it back together ? Any further suggestions welcome.

It might be a leak around the rear main cap where it is supposed to be sealed to the cylinder block. This joint has to be filled with sealant at assembly, but sometimes this works less than perfectly.

Unfortunately, the only answer is to remove the main cap and do it again.

I'm going to be doing this as well this whilst my engine is out. Getting the cap out is a pain though. Not an easy job. It is a pain to get the sealant into the groove and keep it there as you push the cap back in. I have considered using a spinal needle for this but I don't think it's bore is large enough to allow sealant through!

Alex

The only way to get the no5 cap sealed correctly is to use loads of sealent.

In my experience it is this joint which is most prone to leaking. Make sure that was well as the grooves being full of sealent, that you put a big dollop on the mating surfaces which the cap bolt passes through.

Let the sealent go off an trim any excess lumps off! Only use the GM sealent.

Also the selector shaft seal on the gearbox can leak, but you would not get a 6" dia puddle from this. (You may not get any leak froinside the Caterham DS bellhousing - I don't run one so I am not sure.

Alos be aware that the seals where the scavenge pipes meet the sump are also prone to leaking and the oil can run along the sump vane and will drop from the bellhousing/sump joint.

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Its comforting to know that this does not seem an uncommon problem amongst fellow VX owners!

The main cap is off - and I will be resealing it next weekend. I am a bit suspicious of ther two oil ports adjacent to the bolt holes- I assume these are meant to drain back into the sump however its seems to me that the effectiveness of the seal against the sump in that area is critical otherwise the oil could easily route itself down the outside rear of the sump and out through the bell housing sump join?Or maybe I am clutching at straws to aviod the engine removal again!

I doubt whether i'll touch the car until next weekend however I will keep the posting updated as it may be of help to others.

Thanks for your help so far..........

Arnie - Had to think there for a minute!

Laying under raised car looking up at engine - there is definately 2 oilports either side of the bolts.

(Perhaps I should of mentioned that the previous owner had the engine built by SBD)

Yes Arnie, both long bolts were fitted.

It was whilst I was under the car and about to undo the main cap bolts, there was oil dripping from both these holes. Hence my first thought about them being oil ports...

Having resealed the No. 5 main cap and the sump with copious ammounts of GM sealant as advised the result with the engine running was a couple of drips again from the rear sump/bellhousing join. I shut the engine off and inspected an hour later - there was a small pool from the same joint (tax disc size) This being about half the size of what I was getting before. Although acceptable for the time being this was originally a totally oil tight engine. Any other suggestions as to possible causes welcome....

Arnie,

I am open to all suggestions. If there is a crack its certainly not that obvious to the eye. It could I suppose be a hairline crack at the rear face of the sump? Is there a way of checking?

Despite it being a dry sump system, when the the car is stationary with the engine off there is a couple of litres of oil laying in the sump which I guess is normal. Would you know if this level above the sump join to the block?

Mim,

1. Only by looking very carefully.

2. I dont know if the Caterham level exceeds the sump/block joint - I would think so as the 5th cap would leak only when running otherwise. Have you thoroughly checked the scavenge hoses - these are a favorite spot for oil leaks source, with the oil running back down the sump to the rear - the lowset point!

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

As youv'e been good enough to offer advise , it only seem polite to keep you updated. I will remove the sump and No.5 main cap once more this weekend and repeat the sealing process all over again...(using even more sealant this time!)In the process I will also carefully check the sump for hairline cracks.

This leak is now becoming an obsession!!