Click here if you are having website access problems ×

strong smell of petrol

Richard J Darnell

I got my car back from service today and after about 30 minutes of driving had a strong smell of petrol enter the cabin.

It's obvious that the smell is coming from under the bonnet so I assume a hose is lose.

I can't see anything - can anyone tell me which hoses to check and a good way of finding the source of the problem? I can't see any leaks, but i assume this is because the petrol just evaporates.

Remove the bonnet and start the engine. Carefully wriggle the hoses side to side. Due to the pressure in the hoses, if they are loose, you should see signs of fuel. The first thing I would do, is to contact the garage which serviced your vehicle and get them to check fuel leaks. If you are inexperienced, leave the car alone. If you are in the AA have them check the car. Dont take any chances.mad.gif

Clik

The Impatient

A visual and hands on wiggle of all fuel lines in engine bay with fuel pump/engine on is the only way to find it, plus feel under the bottom of carbs (assuming you're on carbs) and between seals of inlet manifold..thats if it is a leak. If smell has now mysteriously gone, then someone may have wiped oil away spilled during service with a petrol dipped rag.......it has been known.

Kenny HPC

cheers guys

I think I've now found the problem. The fuel pipe (it helpfully has fuel written on it!) that goes into the injectors is loose.

The pipe has a metal head and appears to be pushed against the receiving part by a couple of screws which I assume just need tightening up.

I will mention this to the garage that serviced the car.....

There IS an 'O' ring inside the connection. I can only assume that the garage have removed the fuel rail to maybe get at the injectors more easily.......?

The two screws are large thread self tap type (black colour) as they go into the plastic fuel rail .Very easy to check this area & to change the 'O' ring if required though I doubt it'd need it.

Probably 'finger trouble' !!!!!!!!!!!!