Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Submerged Seven

Tom White

Have just got involved in restoring a one year old SV that got submerged in river water for about 20 Houres.

Can anyone tell me what type of breather is used on a 6 speed box 🤔 I'm pretty sure that the LSD has an open breather from what I remember from building my own car, is this so 🤔

Will be busy this winter 😬

Tom

Lech Austria about four weeks ago. Seven was parked in the underground garage, 3am hotel manager wakes up the owner to tell him to move the car as the garage was filling with flood water. The manager instructed the owner to park the seven in front of the hotel on the main street which he did. The river Lech then burst its banks and filled the main street with everything possible, car is a write off, but with a lot of work can be rebuilt. I have pictures but will not show without permission.

Has the gearbox breather got a one way valve?

Tom

Has the gearbox breather got a one way valve?

Don't know, but very much doubt it. AFAIK, it terminates in a nipple - you are supposed to run a hose from the nipple to either a breather bottle or just venting to atmosphere - no particular reason why you'd want/need a valve.

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles, OK so I'm an optimist

Kevsta, it's not the water that troubles me but what is mixed in with it. The river water will wash in some fine sand, therfore I am pleased that the Gearbox/LSD has not been rotated. You are right I will be taking it apart to check.

Thanks

Tom

Thanks Rob

I hope that I am as lucky. The engine is a VVC EU3. There is water on the dipstick so will drain/flush tonight , I won't get to the engine strip down for a month or so. Do you think it will make any difference if I throw in some multigrade in the meanwhile 🤔

Tom

I would Drain the engine and gearbox and refill with some fresh oil, remove the plugs and turn over bye hand spray WD 40 down the bores. If you have time remove the back cover plate offa the diff and let the oil drain out and spray WD 40 into the diff internals. As long as the water was not sea water you should be on a winner, good luck