Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1400 SS VHPD

Nifty

Most likely got my hands on a VHPD to put in place of my diminutive 1400 Supersport engine.

My cashflow is limited so I propose to fit it in as is and then upgrade a little later (eg MEMS to Emerald, upgrade throttle bodies etc), however, some things may need consideration at the time of installment.

I will need to get a manifold and exhaust to fit since the engine was out of a 21 and therefore that system won't fit my car.

Just a little thinking aloud here:

I have some HiSpec Ultralite 4 calipers for the front (not yet fitted). Need I worry about the back brakes which are standard discs and pads?

My gearbox was reconditioned and ratios adjusted by BGH 2 years ago, this should be OK for the 180 bhp of this engine should it not?

Do I need to worry about an LSD?

Do I need to worry about strengthening the chassis around the diff. for 180 bhp?

(Should have got Bruce to do this as a matter of course when he repowdercoated it in 2003 - idiot 😳)

What other considerations should I have?

Cheers,

Nifty.

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

Edited by - Nifty on 25 Sep 2005 13:48:31

Nifty, I'd just fit the engine and pull the trigger.

Your existing exhaust, I would have thought, should fit and a phone call to Caterham spares will confirm if the same 4-2-1 is common for both engine sizes.

I keep meaning to fit an LSD but six years on and it is still there to do. Your g/box should be fine, after all the Caterham six speed was first brought out for the 1400 engine and the ratios haven't changed since then and it is still being fitted.

If it does not have the lightweight flywheel, then this would be the time to fit one and if your stuck for a helping pair of hands, or space to effect the change, you are most welcome to spend a weekend with us.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

Edited by - John Howe on 25 Sep 2005 14:28:38

you may need to check the fuel pump being used on your current car .

The uprated clutch - R500 is the std clutch now , would be wise .

manifold is fine .

you might want to check that the wiring looms are compatable . I worked on a 1400 recently that had different engine loom wiring at the mem's / imobiliser and fuel rail .

brakes will be fine , you will just be going through the hedge backwards a little faster 😬

no need for uprated diff mounts at this level with a regular clutch

Dave

C7 TOP *tongue*Powered by Hellier Performance 😬

South Wales AO *thumbup*

Having been through a 1400 upgrade to a 1600 in 2000 there are some engine loom issues. The injector wiring is different as is the Coil. You'll need a coil which bolts to the side of the engine & you'll need to source a plug to fit the low tension wiring to the coil. I assume you have the VHPD MEMS so make sure you're using the flywheel (or a Caterham lightened one) that came with the engine. Your 1400 flywheel has a different tooth pattern to the VHPD. Also the flywheel sensor is different between the 2 engines. You will also have to change some of the wiring at the ECU plug end.

Sorry I can't be more specific on this but a good source for the pin-outs on the ECU is here

Good luck.

Edited> PS. Just had a thought: I've just recently pulled my engine loom apart to remove all the redundant wiring. If you have the time it may be worth your while to make your own loom rather than modifying your existing one. The plugs are available from people like Vehicle Wiring Products here. The ECU plug may be more difficult to source but maybe Emerald would supply. The advantage of doing this would be a compact neat loom.

Edited by - Mick Day on 25 Sep 2005 18:11:01

Thanks for the replies.

John,

Space isn't a problem but thanks for the offer *thumbup* *thumbup*

My current exhaust is a standard 4 into 1 in the engine bay job and when I smashed my sump the engine jumped and tore my new ali skin round the exhaust hole so the fitting of a 4-2-1 is partly to cut out the damage.

Edited by - Nifty on 2 Oct 2005 11:55:13

Still contemplating.

Having spoken to Dave Andrews (how incredibly informative and generous with his information *thumbup* *thumbup*) it would seem that I might as well put an Emerald on straight away and thus the project is going to rocket in cost just like my chassis rebuild did.

So, if I fit an Emerald and I need an exhaust system I might as well throw the throttle bodies on it straight away. Are Jenvey's de rigour 🤔

Talking with Peter Carmichael yesterday (another man who is incredibly informative and generous with his information *thumbup* *thumbup*) he doesn't use an airbox but has a sausage filter under the bonnet and still gets 240+ bhp, so what are the opinions on fitting an airbox to the throttle bodies.. *confused*

(I don't want an air filter coming out of a hole in the bonnet).

Since the engine is out of the car I might as well fit a dry sump system straight away too (Christmas bulk buy jobby 🤔 *wink*)

So, any further suggestions and ideas of costs for the above.

I hope to do some work myself but will be asking Oily to strip, check and reassemble the VHPD, making his usual modifications on the way.