Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AAAAGHGHG !!! stuck inlet valve on x flow

Jam Mad

well, any of you x flowers (?) out there will know that tony pashley and i were busy this sunday trying to sort out a problem with no3 cylinder's carb on my lurvely little 1700 x flow...

it's been to 'southern carbs', an excellent ( sounding ) garage in wimbledon, and they have returned a verdict of stand-off due to a sticking inlet valve. that is to say, the cylinder isn't shutting off after the suck cycle, and is pushing fuel and air back into the carb.

now.. is this the sphincter moment that i think it is ? do i have a lot of work on my hands ? or is it a big garage/ hefty bill job ?!?!??!?

help... i'm worried...

j

The crossflow is a straightforward beastie to work on, no danger of mistimed cams when taking the head off, I've only ever seen one sticky valve before and that wasnt on a xflow. It should be straightforward to correct once the head is off.

A compression test should tell you if the valve isnt closing.

Oilyshand

Edited by - oilyhands on 30 Nov 2001 14:37:39

no.. don't have lots of dosh.. but don't have a light in my garage, or many tools yet.

the biggest prob at this time of year is that i want the car on the road asap...

i'm going to " 'phone a friend " though and might do it myself... well.. me and the xflow book !

only other problemo being that i don't know what i'm lookig for. i could find the spring ok, but if it's something else i'd be scuppered... grr....

cheers,

j

Edited by - jam mad on 30 Nov 2001 17:36:22

James,

Bring the car down and borrow my garage next saturday - I also have the Haynes manual and my old x-flow engine if you need reference material or spares in a hurry.

As others have said - the xflow is a very easy engine to work on, and taking the head off is a nice simple job (in a dry, light garage).

Dave

oops... too late.. although many thanks dave h. it's at redline now.

to be honest, i now don't have a spare day b4 christmas, so i couldn't have come down anyway.

oo ! and i should have tools of my own after crimble, as long as santa obliges.... let's just hope he monitors this site !

i hate not having been able to do it myself, as you all know, i'm keen enough.. it's just that lack of time, tools and t'lighting put up harsh opposition this time around.

j

ps. dave h.. on second thoughts i'm not sure i'll be able to take up your kind offer of a garage.. i don't thinkk that you have the regulation lighting. i understand from blatchat that this is very important... tongue.gifwink.gif

Edited by - jam mad on 3 Dec 2001 17:12:16

Edited by - jam mad on 3 Dec 2001 17:13:22