Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side repeater lamps - Alternatives?

EFA

Are we talking Indicators here ? If so you can get clear ones which will go in the side of the body from Halfords. you just need to cut a 20mm dia hole in the side of the engine bay. Look at http://willfly.wainsworld.net/Images/willfly_at_motorpark_gone.jpg for similar type thing. These indicators have been through SVA so must be legal.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

Darren.

Well as soon as I thought about the idea of clear type side repeatersI knew I had seen some but couldn't think where idea.gif Then it came to mind.

Caravan (yes, that's right!!!) front running lights!!!!thumbsup.gif

Most camping/caravan shops have 'em. They are very much like the std. orange issue from Caterham (ie. Ausin Maxi, Lotus Esprit) etc.They are sold as an accessory for caravans and trailers.

To get the clear festoon bulb the right colour I started with the headlight paint as used to be used for continental travel. It was OK, but not really orange enough. I ended up using orange 'ripstop' repair tape (as used on kites, sails & the like).Perfect!

It's self adhesive, & one layer around the bulb is fine. I thought the heat build up may be a problem , but as the bulb is not constantly on (remember, even in use its 'on-off-on-off') it hasn't affected the adhesive. cool.gif

Mine are Ford transit, but the whole Ford fleet uses similar ones, the Mondeo ones are larger, the Focus are triangular, unfortunately they're all orange, go to Halfords or Demon Thieves for clear or other colours. In case Alex missed it, yes thay will pass the SVA, Geoff at Gillingham didn't even comment on them and other cars have passed since with the same indicators fitted.

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying smile.gif

I have just fitted side repeaters from a new type vauxhall Corsa thumbsup.gif they come in clear or amber (Depending which year you ask for) and look great.

Arnie, for a headlight repeater try the repeaters off a Seat Ibiza 45.

Edited by - Tony J on 3 Dec 2001 09:30:45

• 1 month later...

hello chris,

can you confirm that the clear type side repeaters you replaced are fitted to the cycle wings still! also do you have a phone number where they can be purchased as i,m having trouble locating some.

cheers.

daz.

Hi everyone, i've used clear front indicators for the past two years from a mini. they are quite cheap and the bulbs are readily available, cost around a fiver a set.

As far as side repeaters go, Chris Clark obviously has a short memory as to where his idea came from. I told him about clear lenses 3 months ago.( 12th oct to be precisesmile.gif)

I've been looking around for something suitable for a year or so. So far the best i've found have been made by LEP, which is incidentaly the same company that make the standard amber repeaters, they are available through caravan places. The lenses are a little tricker. If you are lucky enough to go to the US or Canada, they are available at places like Canadian Tyre. Alternatively i initially painted the lense with modelling paint. Tamiya do a clear amber colour which is ideal, and in a years use hasn't burnt off.

Hope this is some help

Cheers

Andy

With respect to my comments above, i forgot to add that i have flared wings. Because of the double curvature of the wing and the need for the wing stay bolt it is quite hard to find a lamp that is of the right shape. If you have cycle wings i agree with the other posts above, get yourselves down to Halfords and mount one of there's on the side panelling

Cheers