Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine won't stop

Julian Thomson

Although this makes nice change from an engine that won't start, I guess i can't continue to stall it, does anybody know how to adjust the distributor to allow the engine to stop when the key is turned off? Also, should the oil pressure fall to about 20psi (possibly lower) at idle, a blip of the accellerator brings it back up to 40psi? The engine is a old ford crossflow, suffering from a few too many backyard mechanics.

If it's running on then the usual cause is a bit too much throttle when at idle (this is often done to overcome poor carb calibration), or the engine needs a good de-coking. Over advanced ignition can sometimes cause this too. Some engines / carbs have an air valve which vents pure air into the manifold when the ignition is killed to prevent running on.

I'd check your carb balance and mixture to see whether that helps.

oilysand

can only offer a bit of advice on the oil front... and pardon my ignorance, but i only can relate in terms of bar, as shown on the guage ( i think ).

when the oil is up to temp, it should sit at about 1.5, when revved, this should rise to 4 - 4.5.

happy motoring !

j