Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emeralds & Water?

charlie_pank

Got a good drenching last weekend and had 2 misfire moments where it felt (and sounded) like the engine (1600k) was running on 2 cylinders. Similar to how it was running all the time when it got a good 2 day drenching in the lake district and we had to be trailered home.

Fortunately this time it only happened for a fraction of a second (twice within a 2 hr period).

Has anyone else had similar problems? I'm wondering whether anything else other than the Emerald might be to blame, as I have repositioned to a more water-resistant location since the first incident. I'm also considering thoroughly drying out the Emerald and then sealing with silicone - will this cause condensation issues inside it?

Thanks

C

I asked a question on B/Chat about water tightness of the Emerald ECU when I was fitting one to my last car. The general consensus was that it is pretty water tight and I shouldn't experience any problems where I had mine situated on the bulkhead in front of the scuttle.

During the following 2 years of ownership of that car, I drove through some horrible weather and torrential rain and sure enough, it never missed a beat although it must have been almost submerged at some stages!

Isn't there a seal around the casing where the end plates are fitted?

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Angus, I had wondered about that, but I would have expected the heat from the engine to prevent that.

When I had the original (showstopper, trailered home) problem, I drove it for 3 miles on 2 cylinders because I thought it was this and the heat would deal with it... it didn't. After (carefully) dismantling the ECU and haidryering it, all was well.

When I had the problem last weekend, I had already covered about 20 miles (admittedly mostly through standing water) so I have assumed that it can't be water in the spark plug holes... am happy to be corrected though. What do you think?

A good point because I did have that very problem on the last car, albeit before the Emerald was fitted. There was a lot of water in the first 2 plug chambers which caused a misfire above 4k, I think it was, and the effect was just like a rev limiter cutting in. Ran fine below that engine speed though. *confused*

Heat didn't dry it out either and it was only sorted when I started to investigate and thought I would look at the plugs first.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 23 Sep 2005 12:27:24

I can't remember the details, but someone *did* have a problem IIRC - it's in BC somewhere...

Just to be on the safe side, my Emerald is mounted on the vertical scuttle/firewall - but the homemade EU3-EU2 loom converter box is still on the horizontal...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

The coil pack is driven by 2 wires from the emerald . 1 wire provides the signal for one pair of cylinders , and the other wire for the other pair .

I would check a) both the coil pack signal wire connections from the ecu and b) the multiplug on the coil pack .

I have experienced intermittent failier of one pair of cylinders as a result of the arse who wired my ecu ( yep twas me *tongue*)

Dave