Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

clonking and mild whining transmission noises

Billyboy

After buying my 6 speed none lsd r300 and now having done about 350 miles I have become a little more aware of the clonk in the transmission... I presume the play between the crown wheel and pinion

Is the 6 speed box noisy? I cant remember if the 140 roadsport I hired was noisey - I think it was as my wife remembers my comments - The box is ok for oil but whines a little - however when in 6th on full tilt I cant hear a thing........I just taste adrenalin 😬 😬

Any comments on your cars to reasure me of the noises please

Any ideas as to the safe RMP limit of the roller barrel 1800 k in the R300 🤔

Dodge Viper Blue R300 a thing of beauty is a ...............you know

Edited by - billyboy on 23 Sep 2005 16:53:56

The diffs are/can be pretty clonky. 6th gear is a direct drive (1:1 ratio) so it should be the quietest gear. Certainly mine isn't particularly noisy, although there does seem to be some variation from one box to another.

Edited to add the 'particularly noisy'...

Mike

Edited by - Mike Bees on 23 Sep 2005 19:29:58

My diffs done 20K miles and 6 speed box about 5K.

Box is whiny but worst in 4th and diff is clonky but you get used to it *wink*

But TADTS to a greater or lesser degree apparently.

Bozz

It's not MANGO it's TANGO (McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS)

When I first got my R500 (secondhand) I was convinved I had bought a load of trouble, exactly for this reason. Terrible transmission whine, clonking grinding diff, vast slack and lurch between power on and power off. "No wonder they sold it", I thought.

After talking to people and searching and posting on the Forum I have come to accept that this is entirely "normal"! Don't worry about it. The harder you drive it the less you get it (or you just can't hear it). If I try and drive my car smoothly and carefully the transmission sounds like it is just about to let go and clunks and whines alarmingly. At higher revs everything smooths out (to a large degree) and all the slack disappears.

Change the oils, check UV joints and drive it hard!

Yes when driven with gusto *thumbup* 😬 😬 all seems to go smooth 4 gear is the worst 6th being the best, However the first motion shaft when not in gear and clutch out engine idling is a little noisey - as soon as you depress clutch and the box stops being dragged around with clutch centre plate......quiet

On further inspection all seems as it should be!! 😬 😬 😬

Thanks for replies!! feeling better about the noises *eek* in my head......

Hey what about the voices in my head 😬 😬 😬 "more right foooooooooooooot" *wink*

Dodge Viper Blue R300 a thing of beauty is a ...............you know

TADTS... *smile*

I too thought that I was in for a rear axle rebuild but I'm not. I've learned that power on in the gears is no problem, the difficulty is driving on a light throttle in say 2nd up a narrow drive or track, when the thing sounds like a pétanque set being shaken in a packing case.

Ignore it and spend more time driving it like you mean it. *smile*

Oh yes, clonks, whines and grinding noises. I thought mine had real problems when I first put it on the road with most of the noise coming from the ZF type LSD. It is true to say that the harder it is driven, the less noticeable are the noises so once the engine was run in, I really find I am not too troubled by it any longer. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

My 2003 SV 6 speed 140 Xpower does all these noises. This is normal so CC say.. There is no soundproofing and everything is so close to one. Remember that the Ford parts on which much of the gearbox and all of the diff are based were designed in the early 1980's when gear technology was not so good and tolerances were very slack by todays standards. Convinced on many occasions that the diff was going to spit its parts into the road it never has done so. After this years St Moritz trip when the wipers failed totally in Grenoble, the oil pressure dropped to the red on the Grimsel pass in Switzerland and the water temperature went into the red at 120 c all the way back and the alternator ran its rear bearing ; gearbox and diff noises have never been noticed since !

The engine has never run better...... new senders for oil and water ; (nothing was amiss with the engine), new bearings for the alternator plus heat shield to prevent it happening again. New drive for wipers (and due to v poor design it will fail again) £100 fixed the lot. I had thought of disconnecting all the gauges except the speedo and the fuel gauge at one stage to prevent the worry. Don't worry the gearboxes diff and engines seem robust in spite of primative sounds are quite normal.

On returning from a short but noisy trip to France earlier this year I called in at CC Midlands with a not dissimilar noise suspecting any number of dire scenarios. It turned out to be the forward CVJ on the propshaft. A low cost part ( approx £8.50 incl. VAT) - but a sod to change. Worth a quick check though !