Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Adjustable anti roll bars

andygriffiths

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the rear the standard Caterham made and supplied anti roll bar is adjustable by means of 4 holes on each side (gives 12 diffeent settings). I think this also comes in different diameters which will give a further adjustment. Available from Caterham Parts Dept.

For the front Caterham sell a number of different diameter anti roll bars, changing to a different diameter effectively adjusts the bar. Juno Sportscars also sell an in-situ adjustable roll bar, it has a blade at one end which you can rotate, it's soft when flat and hard when vertical. Juno will (or used to) make these in a range of diameters, both solid and tubular, to give an even bigger range.

When posting a message like this I get nervous. In the back of my mind I am expecting Arnie, Alex or PeterC to quickly shoot me down in flames and prove me wrong.

He who dares wins Rodney....

4 holes each side...starting with hole 1 on one side

1:1

1:2

1:3

1:4

2:2

2:3

2:4

3:3

3:4

4:4

10 settings

Asbestos suit at the ready....

Blatman,

I've not done this myself as my ARB is set evenly on 1:1 (softest) but the above was explained to me by an instructor at Oulton last year. Hence my feeling of nervousness making the posting. I just understood it at making fine steps by moving the hole settings one at a time. I never understood why, say, postion 1:3 was not the same as, say, 2:2.

Zipping up suit as we speak....

Assuming that the roll bar can be set assymetrically, then CC is short of a few combinations too. Assuming his numbers are "real life" settings, with the numbers on the left referring to the left side of the car, and the numbers on the right to the right, then you are missing:

This is getting worse.......confused.gif

Edited by - Blatman on 2 Dec 2001 23:47:41

Blatman,

I suppose that depends on whether the torsional stiffness is communicated evenly across the bar from wheel to wheel. If it is, then it doesn't matter whether it is 1:4 or 4:1, for example. If I am wrong and it does matter, what is the point of having different anti-roll settings across an axle?

James.

Don't know, that's why I'm here smile.gif

How do you measure torsional loading at rest Alexquestion.gif I would have though that if the adjustment holes are even each side, then there will only be tension if different holes are used. But is the force equally distributed, as CC saysquestion.gif If so then it doesn't matter, but if not, you have a car that works better turning one way rather than the other.

The force will be evenly distributed, but the car will be tilted to one side if there is torsional force through the ARB at rest.

If the car is on a flat surface and the link is adjusted to go into the ARB without having to bend the ARB, then it's gone in at zero torsional force.

This could be complete c**p but I think it's right.

As the bar is a cross piece with trailing arms, if the two ends are set differently won't the moment arms at each end be different giving different resistance to roll for a given degree of suspension travel?

James.

(It's too late for this!)