Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Spark Plug / Piston Trouble

frankyknuckles

I'm in the process of the 12,000 mile service on my car. I've just replaced the spark plugs and noticed alot of brown/white 'stuff' on the plug tube of #3 piston.

There are 8 pictures which start here. The rows of plugs are numbered 1 to 4 from the left. (single plug shots are of #3)

All spark plugs were tight and I have not noticed any engine mis-fire / trouble. All threads on plugs looked healthy (if not a little dark and oily as per pics). The nut on #3 plug looks particularly brown and rusty.

Does this look like trouble or just oxidation from water ingress ?

Thanks *thumbup*

www.R300.net

Edited by - frankyknuckles on 22 Sep 2005 21:48:02

Run a bead of silicon sealant between the plug/cam cover, I've used this method since I got my Caterham and have never had any problems with water ingress, I've driven through some of the worst summer downpours in France as well!!

Phil S7SVN

Definitely coming from the outside and nothing to do with the engine itself. The plugs look as though they have been exposed to water for a while. How often do you change your plugs? I always take the car for a short run after washing to dry off the engine and allow any standing water in the chassis to dissipate.

Terry

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.