Click here if you are having website access problems ×

to fit or not to fit that is the question

Paul22uk

just in the middle of upgrading my front to wide track on a 91 de-dion!

recieved my front adjustable height bilsteins this morning !

this is the question do i need to fit the hexagonal extenion things that cna wit hte wide track kit or can i do with out !!! i fitted up both side without them

and the bottom wishbone was nearly bang on horzontial (90 degrees to the side of the chassis) !!! surely this isn't right as when it is back on its wheels with the engine in the bottom wish bones would be miles above the horzontial ! please let me know before saturday as i am going to dartford ! so if i need to fit the extention bits i can get it done there !!!!

thanks in advance

Paul (new to all this)

Usually yes you do need them, all depends on wheels, tyre profile sump depth.

My wet sump K on 185/60/13 needs them. Its more a question of suspension droop really (how much the wheels can drop when you fly off the humpback bridge). If you have an engine with little protrusion below the chassis and big wheels you may not need them, but most people do.

BC

I run without them. If you fit the hex spacers this reduces the amount of travel available before hitting the bumpstops as you have effectively removed this length from the damper connecting rod and placed it above the top cap. The result if you are running with soft springs is that your car will roll onto the bumpstops when cornering hard and then the front will go solid and then load up the rear end resulting is understeer. Removing the hex spacers is also not ideal as you end up with very little droop this makes itself felt when the suspension becomes unloaded ie hump back bridge or uneven road the dampers can be felt pulling agaist their stops. The ideal solution would be some dampers of the correct length for the widetrack set up not lengthening the stock unit.

i should in theory have the right dampers as i have just brought them brand new from caterham !!! it just didn't look right the was no droop below horiztoial at all when i fitted them up last night ! is thay any way you can fit the hex spacers and cut the bump stop in half there for increasing the amount of suspension travel !!!

i will be running on 6x14 wheels with 185/55/14 and have a wet sumped x/flow

any more advice would be good !!

Paul,

With your wheel size I would suggest that you try the shocks with the extenders fitted.

Once you have got the carback on the road, take it down a bumpy lane at high speed. If the car is all over the place, chances are you are hitting the bump stops, so then fit harder springs OR remove the extensions.

Its a bit trial and error, but there a quite afew variables:

Engine position/weight

Front spring stiffness

Desired ride height

Use - Road or Track

Fat Arn

The NOW PROVEN R500 Eaterid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>