Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Failed emissions test

Grim Reaper

Rover Mini...2000 model, multipoint injection with Cat fitted on Rover MEMS.

Long centre branch manifold, Single rear box and K&N air filter are the changes from standard.

MoT test failed on Lambda being too high (1.145-1.172) but CO is 0.0% and HC is 22ppm so the Cat is working OK.

I think the high lambda means the mixture is too lean, so would something as simple as putting the original air filter back on reduce the air/fuel ratio or is it the lambda sensor that is up the swanny? I have another sensor but it is going to be a bugger to get it on.

I'm not sure if I can increase the fuel pressure easily (I think the regulator is in the tank mounted pump) to get round it from the other direction.(could maybe restrict the return hose slightly to see if that has any effect)

Bloke in the garage says the Lambda sensor is buggered (but I don't think he has tested it in any way other than from the readings off his emissions tester) and only changing it will make any difference.

Is he right? Do I need to swap it out for a new one?

YOu can test the lambda sensor by looking at its output voltage. It should swing between about 0V and about 1V at least once per second. an oscillope is ideal for measuring this, but a fast responding volt-meter should be OK. The system was in closed loop control wasn't it? The engine warm etc?

You could check for vacuum leaks on the inlet side of things which could introduce un-metered air, so allow a lean misture?

Pooh

A Bear of little Brain!

Just had a look, the fuel pressure regulator is on the rail as in the K series so it might be possible to up the pressure a little there,

I will get an oscilloscope on the lambda once the exhausts have cooled a little and I can get in to the connector, the temps were correct (fan cutting in)

I suspect that the exhaust and inlet changes have increased the flow through the engine and possibly, despite the ability of the MEMS to richen the mixture up, it has gone outside its limits to allow it to richen it up enough to maintain Lambda 1 (I could/may well be wrong about this though)

Increasing the fuel pressure slightly should put more fuel in to the system and it can lean it down from there?

Next stop is a 7 port head and a set of throttle bodies/emerald methinks.

Thought about doing that too (anyway)

The question is, can the guy tell from the emissions readout on his MoT machine that the Lambda sensor has failed?

I asked if it was running lean (I thought it might be with all the mods) but he said that had no bearing on the reading??

Surely not, that's what it's there to tell you isn't it?

Grim

Don't know! but you might have an air leak between the Lambda and the back box.

My se7en had it's MOT yesterday. CO = 0% HC = 23ppm and initially the lambda failed >1.03 limit.

SAME PROBLEM AS LAST YEARS MOT *eek* - I take the 4:2:1 off & insert the Cat section and last year I had to hold welders mittens round the primaries to cat joints for 30 seconds for it to pass. This year I put paste and beer can segments into every gap I could find. It still failed as it was still blowing (nowhere near as bad as last years) Another session with the welders mitts got it down to 1.02 (Just in 😳 Phew!).

It's worth checking for air leaks round any joints

rog

C7 TNT - it's Dynamite!(Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey)

Well, I've changed the Lambda sensor and whilst reassembling the exhaust system I have used HT gasket sealant on all the joints as far as the cat (only two after that and they seem OK)

retested it with the original air filter on and it still fails *mad*

Taking it in to the local Rover (non dealer) repair place on tuesday to get the engine management interrogated to see if anything is wrong there.