Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

type 9 gear selection

Gabbleratchet

Having a few probs. with gear selection.

A continuing problem is that 1st and second are often hard to select unless i select reverse first. Clutch will not adjust anymore so I think this might be down to syncro function. Is it always this hard? I think I hate Ford gearboxes!

A more disturbing problem is that I can go through the 'H' supposedly selecting said gears but it is nothing unusual for '2nd' position to have selected 4th and '1st' to have selected 3rd!!....beginning to drive me nuts.

If anyone can shed light on possible causes and solutions I would be very grateful.....

Thanks all..

Dear Mr Gobble a Rat Sh*t, is your gear shift action with a definate centring feel, ie does the gear stick want to return to the same position, usually in the 3rd to 4th gear plane, and resting against the 5th gear selection spring action, if this is not so and the gear stick has a vague and imprecise movement it could be caused by a knackered centring spring and possibly a 5th gear detent spring, these items are relatvely easy to deal to if the gearbox is out of the car, I used to drive my car with a type 9 g/b, without the springs mentioned, got used to it, but anyone else would bleat about the crappy gear change, e-mail me direct if you want and I could send more precise info, or get in touch with top Ford gearbox Guru, Steve Perks, makes his bread out of gearboxes, bloody hard crust! have fun, regards Nigel.